Where to go after the RX100 IV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choiahoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Back in 2016, I needed to upgraded my camera setup for an upcoming trip to Indonesia. I only shoot video, and for this 23 day trip, I would need both a macro and wide setup. I settled on the RX100IV in a Fantasea housing and 2500 sea dragon lights, Subsee 10 macro lens and a flip device to alternate between a red filter if needed.
Overall, I was happy. I loved the 4K and the 120fps HD. Macro looked great. There was only one thing that bugged me was the difficulty I had in setting manual white balance. Coming from a Canon, it was strikingly worse. On a following trip to Cayman, which was most all wide angle, it was also noticeable. Here’s a link to videos of both trips -

Indonesia

Cayman

Then on a trip to Hawaii last summer, I lost the camera and housing and had to rent a camera. On a side note, Boss Frog’s on the islands have a great deal to rent Olympus TG4 camera for $75 for a a week. I think the auto white balance result was better in this camera that the manual or auto on the RX100. I considered getting the TG5 now, but I think a larger sensor would be best.

Here’s the Hawaii footage from the Olympus TG4—shot with 5K sea dragon lights and a red filter, literally held in place when needed.

This past November, I was in Curacao and just tool my old rig for my Canon S100. It was fine for what I needed. But in a few months, I have upcoming trips to Bonaire and to St Croix, where our main focus in diving will be macro. So I’ll need a better setup than what I have.

So what do I do?

I need to shoot 4K. Slo motion would be great, 120fps or even 60fps would be fine. It would be great to keep the camera + housing at roughly $1500.

Some part of me hates to buy the ‘same’ camera I had lost and wants to upgrade, but another part of me thinks the RX100 might still be the best option. Can someone tell me that the RX100 V’s manual white balance is much better? Or the a6300’s for that matter?

I was thinking about the Lumix LX100, but I hesitate to get a four year old camera, even one as good as that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I think that after using a Canon , white balance with any other make of camera is hard to get used to. We have just been in the Maldives and everybody we met seemed to have a Tg5. For macro it's meant to be fantastic and I am now contemplating trading in my Canon S110 for a T g5. The white balance is not as good as with the Canon, especially below 18mts , but the microscope mode for macro is wonderful. Also many simple photo editing packages do white balance, not as well as canons though. The image quality seems to be awesome.

Good luck with your decision.

A6300 manual white balance isn't any different, Sony in-camera white balance is limited to 9990K in general, and you need several key presses to set it. Maybe Olympus M4/3 mirrorless is worth a look?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom