Where to get NAUI Certified for Drysuit Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. Yes, I saw you, but you were on land. I'm heading up tonight. Hopefully I'll get a dive in, but then it's time to drag the boat down. So sad.

Other than the cost, is there any drawback to using one? I'm not aware of any, but maybe there is something I'm not aware of.

Nope. Just one more thing to do.

Actually only PADI.
The about page on your website says you have Tanya Gorguraki from padi and naui. Maybe I misunderstood, as it does seem a bit ambiguous. About Us

I'm afraid that the constantly growing number of possible courses is due to the excessive number of instructors which makes it very hard to ever make the money back that they paid for their instructor training.
More than OWD, a shitload of dives, and basic training for decompression dives including a gas switch is overkill for everybody who has no interest in becoming a tecdiver or cavediver. Everything else can be learned with a competent buddy and a few dives.

Maybe it is possible to learn everything else with a competent buddy and a few dives, but some people find it more efficient to have a competent instructor teach them, using the same methodology they have used to teach previous students, presumably with good results. I like predictability and at least some assurance that I will learn what needs to be learned. If I am not alone, then there is at least some demand for courses such as drysuit diving. I'm not persuaded supply is completely driving demand here.

Here is the usual train of thought in these ScubaBoard discussions. I will save everyone a lot of time and sum up the arguments.

1. All instructors suck and are just taking money for providing nothing of value.. You can tell by the fact that all the divers they produce suck. just look around you! No one is any good!
2. Instead of going to an instructor, get a Mentor from the general diving public, all of whom are better than instructors and can be trusted to give you excellent instruction for free. (Okay, I know #1 and #2 contradict, but divers in general only suck if you are watching them perform on dives; if they are Mentoring you, they are excellent.)
3. Instructors should work for free, just like people working in every other profession do.
4. If that great Mentor you found decides to become an instructor, he or she will suck as soon as certified.

Suggest that you give Carl Griffing at Katy Store - Sea Sports Scuba a call. Although Sea Sports Scuba is an SSI shop, Carl is also a NAUI instructor and will be very familiar with all of your prior instruction. Carl is also a very competent and very qualified instructor.

You may not need to do a drysuit course, but it is advisable.

With BSAC (and most agencies) if you learn to dive using a drysuit, you have effectively done the drysuit course. If you learnt to dive without a drysuit, it is better to do the course, because it formalises what you should know. e.g how to rescue a diver in a drysuit.

More relevantly, if you go to Silfra, and wish to hire a drysuit, if you don't have the certification they will treat you as if you are learning. If you have certification, you are more likely to be left to your own devices.

When I went with my late partner, the guide didn't even get in the water with us. He briefed us on the site. Then let us get on with the dive, we planned it, managed the time and did the dive we wanted to do. Most are lead through the site quite quickly. It's not a difficult dive, it's a crack, you start at A, swim to B, hang a left into the lagoon, ensuring you don't end up in the lake and swim to the exit point C. Your biggest problems are missing the left hand turn and staying warm.

---
When I was instructing, especially at tech level. I spent most of my time trying to correct people's weighting (most are too heavy), removing gaiters. Trying to solve trim issues by adjusting the peoples CofG. Getting them to move air to their feet to get flat, especially on the stops. Most thing they are feet up, when they look like seahorses.
I also spent a lot of time removing angle weights. However, as a female instructor once told me ...."women have 'floaty' ankles", which I took with suspicion. However, over the years a significantly higher ratio of women appear to need ankles to keep their feet down.

Suggest that you give Carl Griffing at Katy Store - Sea Sports Scuba a call. Although Sea Sports Scuba is an SSI shop, Carl is also a NAUI instructor and will be very familiar with all of your prior instruction. Carl is also a very competent and very qualified instructor.

What about the woodlands location? I'm down the road from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom