Where to get hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="Mr. Manfrenjensenden, post: 8196091, member: 472850] Does everyone get their hydros at dive shops[/QUOTE]

[Almost] no dive shop (or fire extinguisher place) does hydros. Look for a hydro place. But....the end price may be the same, in which case, you may prefer to support your local dive shop. They have fills...

Last edited:
What divad means is that the dive shops are not who actually conduct the test, they send them out for this service and usually tac on 20 or 25 dollars to the total. After all, the dive shop still needs to do the VIP too. Im a bit North of Tampa in FL and my LDS charges 59 bucks for hydro, VIP and air fill.That is out the door tax included. I just had 4 steel tanks done.

There are a few shops locally that do hydros in house, they are United Divers and Mass Diving. Personally, I’ll gladly pay the surcharge for a dive shop to send them out. Boston Scuba can usually turn them over within two weeks and often quicker.

If you want to take them direct to the hydro shop, there is a good place in Quincy that does them. I believe it is Gotham Fire, but I’m not positive.

What divad means is that the dive shops are not who actually conduct the test, they send them out for this service and usually tac on 20 or 25 dollars to the total. After all, the dive shop still needs to do the VIP too. Im a bit North of Tampa in FL and my LDS charges 59 bucks for hydro, VIP and air fill.That is out the door tax included. I just had 4 steel tanks done.
thats actually not 100% true - while many dive shops send them out, some dive shops have a hydro testing facility. Mass Diving in Natick being one

Thanks all. I should have been more specific and asked, "Do people just drop off their tanks at dive shops for hydros..." Good to know that some locally do them in-house -- I thought everyone sent them out somewhere, which is why the turnaround is several weeks. I agree, Tug, that I'm inclined to pay the surcharge for convenience, unless I happen to be going to Quincy anyway.

There are a few shops locally that do hydros in house, they are United Divers and Mass Diving. Personally, I’ll gladly pay the surcharge for a dive shop to send them out. Boston Scuba can usually turn them over within two weeks and often quicker.

If you want to take them direct to the hydro shop, there is a good place in Quincy that does them. I believe it is Gotham Fire, but I’m not positive.

Turns out it's Gorham Fire, Gorham Fire Appliance Co | Fire Extinguishers | Quincy, MA. $25 for the hydro, but they don't do visuals or fills.

Most hydro shops don’t do visuals and fills so you’d have to take it to a shop for that anyways. Locally, visuals are between $15 and $25 and fills range from $7 to $12ish which is why it often makes sense to take them to a shop for the whole process.

If you shoot me a PM with your location, I’m happy to make some recommendations. Based on your profile location, Boston Scuba and East Coast Divers are my recommendations. Based on my experience, Boston Scuba can usually turn around a hydro quicker (one of their employees lives right near the hydro shop so he picks them up/drops them off as needed).

Back
Top Bottom