Where to find good diving + great hotel in the Caribbean and Americas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csky217

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm researching a February dive vacation for myself and my dive buddy, who also happens to be my father, and his wife, who also happens to be my mother. eyebrow I've run into a wall with my research and would like to ask you, oh wise Scuba Board members, for some advice.

I'm looking for suggestions for a location in the Caribbean/Americas with good to great diving and a world-class hotel. Now, I would happily sleep hanging upside down from a cave ceiling if it meant I could go diving, but my parents much prefer convenience and comfort. My Dad travels a lot for business and is used to a really nice hotel. He wants to be as comfortable as possible on land and is willing to pay for it, particularly for just a few days.

To give you an idea, he was not terribly impressed with Cozumel's Presidente/Intercontinental about 5 years ago. (Though, personally I think that was mostly because of the rock-hard bed, a norte that had my mom sitting on the beach wrapped in 3 beach towels, and the Christmas crowds.) Since then, he's tended to stick to cruise vacations because of the luxury experience and the food. My mom doesn't swim, let alone dive, and likes a nice beach to sit and read while worrying about us getting eaten by sharks.

Since my own travel experience has been more of the Motel 6 variety, it's been hard for to me to judge. All the hotels and resorts look so nice in the pictures! Since it's a short trip, we've ruled out anything further than the Caribbean/Central America. (Flying out of the Midwest.) Some places I've considered:

- Cozumel: we loved the diving, but the Presidente won't be open for a while, and I don't think my Dad would go back to that hotel anyway. He loved diving there in the past, but I can't find a hotel I think he'd like. I wish I could, because he loves Palancar. All right, we both do.

- Grand Cayman: I thought this would be a good combination of upscale resort locales with great diving if we didn't mind some longer boat rides, but my Dad thinks the island is still recovering from earlier hurricanes. I'm trying to figure out if the Ritz-Carlton on Seven Mile Beach is open. My Dad likes to dive walls and enjoyed some dives out of George Town in the past.

- Grand Turk: Provo seems to be like Grand Cayman but not as built up, but I can't get a clear sense of what the "top" hotels or resorts are and how they would compare to, say, a Sheraton. We've never been to Turks & Caicos, I think my Mom would love the Provo beaches, and my Dad met some business associate who went there and loved it. We just don't know where he stayed.

- Belize: the best accommodation there seems to be small resorts, which I would love but suspect aren't quite what my Dad's is looking for. Placencia seems nice, but without any really big hotels. Turneffe Key seems a bit isolated? They all seem pretty similar in their descriptions. Are there any that really stand out in terms of amenities?

- Nevis: there are some really nice hotels and beaches that fit the accomodation requirement, but it seems like the diving there and in St. Kitts isn't even in the same league as the other places I've looked into. So far that's been the deal breaker.

- Liveaboards: I've tried to convince my Dad that this is a like cruise but with more diving, but he saw some pictures of the boats and declined. Also, my mom is easily seasick and would be miserable.

For those with more diving and traveling experience, where would you recommend? Is the research accurate, or are there places/hotels I've overlooked? I've searched around this forum a bit, but not surprisingly the posts seem to focus on the underwater attractions and dive operators.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I appreciate your insights and generosity in sharing your wisdom. Plus, this post is approaching Tolstoy-like lengths, so thank you for reading this far. To express my gratitude, I can offer a trip report when we return, or your choice of these lovely suspension bridges in New York or San Francisco.

Might want to consider the other side of Grand Cayman also. I'm booked to stay at the Reef Resort www.thereef.com.ky at Grand Cayman's East End and dive with Ocean Frontiers www.oceanfrontiers.com in April. I've never been to Grand Cayman, but the positive reviews for both the Reef Resort and the diving at East End are overwhelming. Neither were seriously affected by the hurricane. Check out www.tripadvisor.com and http://dive.scubadiving.com/tripfinder/main.php/results/view/Cayman+Islands for some ideas. By the way, Provo (Providenciales) and Grand Turk are completely different islands in the same archepelago. I've never been there either, but I heard that there's great diving to be found everywhere in that region. I'm sure someone who's actually been the Caribbean will chime in in a little bit. Anyway, good luck eyebrow !

I think your mother would kill you if you took her on a liveaboard.

Nevis has a Four Seasons Resort, but the diving would probably disappoint you.

If El Presidente wasn't nice enough, forget Grand Turk or Belize.

Turks & Caicos Provo and Grand Cayman sound like your best choices.

Provo has really nice small resort/condo's. Take a look at Royal West Indies, Point Grace and Turks & Caicos Club.

If you want a more developed island and bigger hotels/resorts look at Grand Cayman, The Hyatt and Ritz Carlton.

The Ritz Carlton is open in Grand Cayman, and that would certainly qualify as luxurious. The beach suites at The Hyatt are worth considering as well.

We just got back from a week of diving in Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa. It was just OK for the money, and certainly not up to Westin standards. The Heavenly Bed was less than Heavenly. The new Ritz Carlton, which is 1/4 mile down the road is now open... and looks very nice. We had breakfast there a few mornings. Expensive, but much nicer than the Westin.

As far as diving goes, it couldn't have been better. We booked 7 half-day charters with Indigo Divers (www.indigodivers.com). The more you book, the bigger the discount you get. Chris and Kate Alpers run the whole operation and do a fantastic job. They picked us up each morning at our hotel and took us to the boat. The boat only accomodates a max of 6 divers. We had four divers and since we chartered the boat, we had it all to ourselves. First day we dove on the north side... did 2 great wall dives. Day 2 and 3 we had to dive on the south side because of rough seas on the north side. The reef dives were excellent with lots of swim-throughs and vast amount of sea life. Days 4 and 5 we were back on the north side. Great wall dives and, of course, we had to do Sting Ray City. Sting Ray City sounds like a touristy thing to do, but it was actually a terrific dive. You are only in 15 ft of water, but the sting rays and moray eels are very friendly and fun to play with. Well worth doing if you have multiple diving days. We can't say enough good things about Indigo Divers. It was such a treat to have our own boat for multiple days. And it did not cost an arm and a leg. It turns out to be just a little bit more expensive than going on one of the cattle boats... but 10 times the fun.

If you are thinking about Provo, I think that Caicos Adventures has a number of different places to stay connected with their dive pkg's. The beach is perhaps one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean. We stayed in a time share, but there were other condos that seemed nice like the "Sands"
The diving in Provo w/ C.A. was near the top of our list for the Caribbean.

Also have you thought about Little Cayman (the best wall diving in the caribbean), Little Cayman Beach Resort was nice although not luxurious by any means. (not much beach)

csky217:
I'm researching a February dive vacation for myself and my dive buddy, who also happens to be my father, and his wife, who also happens to be my mother. eyebrow I've run into a wall with my research and would like to ask you, oh wise Scuba Board members, for some advice.

I'm looking for suggestions for a location in the Caribbean/Americas with good to great diving and a world-class hotel. Now, I would happily sleep hanging upside down from a cave ceiling if it meant I could go diving, but my parents much prefer convenience and comfort. My Dad travels a lot for business and is used to a really nice hotel. He wants to be as comfortable as possible on land and is willing to pay for it, particularly for just a few days.

Young Island and Dive St. Vincent on St Vincent or Peter Island (and perhaps others) in the British Virgin Islands deserve a look from you.

caymaniac:
If you are thinking about Provo, I think that Caicos Adventures has a number of different places to stay connected with their dive pkg's. The beach is perhaps one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean. We stayed in a time share, but there were other condos that seemed nice like the "Sands"
The diving in Provo w/ C.A. was near the top of our list for the Caribbean.

Also have you thought about Little Cayman (the best wall diving in the caribbean), Little Cayman Beach Resort was nice although not luxurious by any means. (not much beach)

Some beach pics from Provo:

Grace Bay in Provo is the prettiest beach I have seen . I stayed at the Sands I thought it was very nice plus you can't beat diving with FiFi

Thanks so much for all the great advice.

Mantasscareme: Thanks for the suggestion about the other side of Grand Cayman. I got the impression that the diving is better but hotels outside Seven Mile Beach are less tourist-oriented? Also, the difference between Provo and Grand Turk somehow escaped me -- thanks!

ronrosa: My mom would be entirely justified in killing me, if it were a liveaboard. Thanks so much for the suggestions about T&C and Grand Cayman, especially T&C. With all the advertising, it's hard to get a sense of how different places really stack up.

Drew Sailbum: I hadn't realized quite how expensive the Ritz in Grand Cayman is, so I really appreciate the thought about the Hyatt. Hope you're enjoying life in GC!

MikeNY: Thanks for the report on the Westin. Hope you were able to get some sleep despite the bed. (I think my Dad picks his hotels for the bed.) It sounds like you had a good, if less than heavenly, trip with some great diving. I haven't heard of Indigo Divers before but they seem to have done right by you!

caymaniac: Thanks, fellow Michigander! Caicos Adventures seems like the "go to" dive outfit, so I will definitely look into them, thanks. Your Provo pictures make want to go there right now. (Is that your timeshare in the background of the last picture? ) Thanks for the suggestion about Little Cayman -- the walls are very tempting though not making it easier to reach a decision!

donacheson: Thanks so much for the suggestions. The BVI sound absolutely gorgeous, and it's time to do some more reading.

tarheeldiver: Grace Beach sounds like it's well worth a visit. Glad you had a good time -- what was your experience at the Sands? It seems to be on the smaller side -- did you find it more family or adult oriented?

After some more reading, it seems like underwater visibility in T&C is generally amazing (close to what you get in Cozumel)? Do I have it right that Grand Cayman tends to have somewhat less visibility?

Again, thank you all for the input! For all my attempts to convince my parents to rough it (relatively), I foresee this information becoming very useful.

Back
Top Bottom