where to do divemaster in Australia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys&girls,

i am a 30 year old dutch guy, who just quit his job and is going to Australia in februari for one year.

Where should I do my DM? i am looking for places near the greatbarrier reef.

Does anybody know places to work as a DM?

Thank in advance!
philip

I've also packed it all in (quit work, sold flat) and going off to Australia and the Pacific for a while.

After quite a bit of research and asking around, I've decided to do the Divemaster Course with Prodive in Cairns in about a month. It's in the heart of the GBR and there's other nice attractions on land.

Happy travels and enjoy diving.

You might try Quicksilver in Port Douglas, Australia. I was there in Aug. of 2000, and did some diving with them. Honestly though, you would be better off getting your instructor rating, as there would probably be more opportunities/options available to you. There are several dive operators in Port Douglas, I loved it there and hope to go back in a couple years. Good Luck!! Did I mention I'm jealous? Also, you might try some of the live aboards like Mike Ball along with the resort on Lizard Island, Austraila.

thanks guys for your quick replies. I read some more threads about this subject, where people are saying diving in Cairns is not that good. What about this?
Should I consider going to other regions?

Philip,

Cairns is just south of Port Douglas, operators run trips from both locations out to the Great Barrier reef. It's a huge reef as you know, I thought the diving was great. There's also a wreck to dive on, I can remember the it's name. A divemaster buddy of mine did some diving on it and raved about it. He's been all over diving and he was impressed. I will admit I my favorite diving was done while staying at Lizard Island.

Have you thought about doing your course in Western Australia? There are several very good ones throughout the state and the up-side is that when you then go to QLD you have the opportunity to work or go on trips in exchange for your services sometimes.

PM me if you want more details...there are so many shops in Aust that you are bound to find one to suit you perfectly!

Where should I do my DM? i am looking for places near the greatbarrier reef.

If you must be on the GBR, then it has to be Cairns really.

However, have you thought about Byron Bay. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like a good place to do DMs i.e. decent enough diving and top tottie (at least in summer). It is temperate diving though.

Does anybody know places to work as a DM?

Nope. You generally need to be an instructor in Oz to get any paid work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom