Where to dive? Sydney vs. Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

was in Oz last year did both Posiden and Haba and both were great as day boats. Both are out of Port Douglas. They go slightly further north than Quicksilver as I recall. Cattle boats however, but less so than Quicksilver. As I recall there were 35 or so people on the boat with room for 50 or so - less than 10 were divers on both boats.

Enjoyed it so much that I went out on a liveaboard the next week for three days.

Enjoyed that so much went out and bought a drysuit when I got back.

Yes it's touristy, but it is the GBR and it is still pretty special. Wouldn't even think about Sydney if I could get to Cairns/Port Douglas. On a day trip you are going to be going to roughly the same place no matter what boat you take - you can only go so far in a single day.

Zeeman:
given the choice - Cairns is a pretty easy winner.

If I could sugest checking out the smaller ops in Cairns/Port douglas - less crowded, you don't feel like you are par tof a cattle muster and the staff are able to give you more attention. the bigger boats are fine, but for something a little extra in a trip - try the likes of Poseiden, Aristocat or Haba (though there are other good ones too, I'm sure)

Sydney is.. well... OK if you live here, but not really a choice compared to Far North Queensland.

z...

To be fair to both destinations, I think that you are comparing apples with oranges; they are completely different, apart from the presence of saltwater, they are very different places.

Cairns will be very very hot and sticky and it's cyclone (hurricane) season atm, meaning you've a significant risk of beinmg wiped by the weatherand if you've dived reefs in the Caribean, I doubt you'll find it a lot different. I dived on the outer(ish) reef a few years back, with Cairns Diving Centre, which was a great set up, good value and excellent management, however, after 4 dives, I felt a bit like I'd seen enough. The vis was pretty good, 15-20m or so but not as good as I get down here; saw lotsa pretty fish but nothing that really grabbed me.

I haven't dived Sydney but know plenty who have and whilst the vis may not be quite as good as up North, as I understand it, there's more to see in the way of wrecks etc and you aren't faced with a 2-3 hour trip to the dive site as you are in Cairns.

I don't know the operators up there but understand that Prodive are pretty big in Sydney too, so if you check their website, you'll be abvle to make direct comparisons. There are liveaboards in Cairns, Port Douglas which go right out into the Coral Sea, which I'm told is excellent but that is a 3 or 4 day trip, one day won't give you enough time.

Sydney on the other hand gives you plenty of options close in and, if you do get wiped by the weatherm, there's plenty to do & see in Sydney unlike Cairns which is frankly a bit boring once you've seen the crocodile farms and the theme parks. I'm a Tasmanian so I really shouldn't be saying nice things about Sydney or indeed anything in NSW.

Back
Top Bottom