Where to dive Sunday 4-29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sunday is is my last day of vacation and I didn't get to do any of the dives I had planned. High seas and lousey vis was the rule of the week. I did get out Thursday and dove Cat Island. Conditions were as expected, lots of surge and vis in the 3-4 foot range.

I want to dive tomorrow and will drive any where but fear ocean conditions will just be more of the same. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Just talked with one of my dive buddies on the phone. He dove Back Beach in Rockport this morning (Saturday, the 28th). He said vis had improved dramatically from last weekend and was about 30-35'. No swell or surge.

Water temp was 50 degrees.

He saw one short lobster, two short flounder.

I hope to get to Front Beach in a week or two when there's a better chance of getting some keeper flounder. I'll drop you a line to do some diving at that time.

Good luck tomorrow!

Dave C

Wow! That's a whole different experience than I had on Thursday. The way the wind's been blowing I figured lousey conditions.
Thanks, That's the info I was looking for. I'll find an area on Cape Ann, Hopefully Magnolia is divable.
Yes, drop me a line, floundering sounds great.

The way the wind's been blowing I figured lousey conditions.
Same here. I was going to dive Back Beach tomorrow, but bagged the idea because winds were supposed to be around 20. Dive shop is closed now :(

If you have a din regulator, I can set you up with a tank.
Thanks for the offer, shop was still open. We're meeting at the BK on 128 at 0900. There's a check out class going out so I'm going to tag along with the instructors. Hope to see you at BK or the beach.

Thanks for the offer, shop was still open. We're meeting at the BK on 128 at 0900. There's a check out class going out so I'm going to tag along with the instructors. Hope to see you at BK or the beach.

Sounds good. I think I'm gonna check out Magnolia first and then probably back beach. Have a good dive, maybe we'll run into eachother.

Hi Paul - I did Nubble this afternoon about 2. I was waiting for the wind to die down. It was about 20+ mph out of the wly becoming out of the nly after I got out. A wly wind at Nubble is good because the land mass shelters the water in the cove. I know you can't go there tomorrow but I thought I would give you a quick little dive report anyway to show how you can't trust the conditions report. There was hardly any surf to speak of and the surge was almost non-existant except certain places close to shore. I was about 2 hours into the incoming tide. The rocks are barren of any algae - I couldn't believe it - bone dry - first time I have seen that! The report had called for 4-5' seas but I didn't see any of that even far out to sea. There was a strange color demarcation [sp?] line from Long Sands wrapping around the lighthouse island. It was about 500' offshore and was a dramatic color change from green to dark water --- algae bloom??? Viz was 12' +/_ with a lot of organic shreads, tiny jellies and egg strings in the water column. Tomorrow should be a good day also - don't let the report keep you away - at Cape Ann I am sure you will find good conditions somewhere...........Joe

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the report. I'm packing up now. I'm gonna get an early start and hope for a good day with good conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom