Where to dive in north or central Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn

Contributor
Reaction score
I am heading down to central Florida next Friday,going to Clairmont for my Grandmothers 90th birthday party.I am going to stop and get some dives in on the way down and back,but not sure where the best spring and caverns were.I have been to Troy springs back in the early 80s and Ginny springs a few years ago.I was thinking of hitting Troy springs again and maybe going to40 fathom grotto,what other dives would be good for a non cave diver?:confused:

40 fathom is a guided dive only. You can't dive there unless you are with a guide.
Some other good dives sites:
Paradise Springs
Blue Grotto
Devils Den
Troy
Ginnie
Peacock - specifically Orange Grove Sink
Alexander

I'll probably be at Alexander Springs this coming Sunday I want to practice with my new drysuit.

Thanks I just read about the guide in underwater florida,how much is it to dive and a guide?I have never used a paid guide before,Blue grotto sounds like a good dive.I just want to go exploring some and do some dives I haven't dove before,I usually dive in the northwest area of Florida.

Not sure on the cost of 40 fathoms. I have yet to dive there.
Visibility is generally really bad at 40 fathom. I'm talking less than 3 feet viz.
My instructors are guides but keep telling me its not worth it most of the time.
I think its $40 to get in, not sure how much for a guide. IMHO don't bother.

Blue Grotto is a very fun dive I like it, and they have air fills right there. BG is $35-40 to get in.

A lot of people dont like Devils Den, I do..there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore

Even though 40 Fathom is guided, the last I heard, viz was poor. Unless you are cavern, I would skip Orange Grove since they do not allow a light if you do not have some level of overhead training. With that said, I would go for Troy, Ginnie, or Rainbow River. If viz is OK, you can also dive the Sante Fe from Devils Ear down to Ginnie.

I will agree that 40 Fathom is not worth going just to dive in a deep hole with a guide. But of couse, if you want to pay me... I won't agree with the 3 ft viz... I haven't been there this year, but it's normally 20+. It's dark in that hole, so it's hard to see how far your light shines.

40 Fathom is a great place for deep training. It's fun to burn a couple of tanks looking at the bike, cards, boats, subs, etc... but... I get bored easy... That's probably why I only go to Devil's Den & Blue Grotto when I'm teaching. A hole in the ground just doesn't excite me.

Don't forget Blue Springs in Orange City... as long as it's not closed for the manatees.

Last I heard Blue Spring (Orange City) is closed due to manatees and Troy is blown due to river intrusion.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for a list with links to several of the north and central Florida springs. I don't have currently conditions listed, but just ask and I can probably tell you.

Not too interested in 3 ft vis,have that across the street here on lake Lanier,it is free and you don't need a guide but the water is 25 degrees colder right now,thanks for everyones help.

Troy also does not allow lights, I think its still closed too.
Devils Eye / Devils Ear do not allow lights either. The main Ginnie ballroom does.
Blue springs is closed until the end of March due to manatees being in the spring run.
Goodluck!

I will agree that 40 Fathom is not worth going just to dive in a deep hole with a guide. But of couse, if you want to pay me... I won't agree with the 3 ft viz... I haven't been there this year, but it's normally 20+. It's dark in that hole, so it's hard to see how far your light shines.

Unfortunately, the viz at 40 Fathom really is about 3' right now. They removed the duck weed several months ago and the viz has been bad ever since. You are right about it being a great place for training though. I hope they get the viz situation worked out because I would like to dive there again some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom