Where to dive in North Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Barton

Registered
Reaction score
Dear all:

Will be going to visit family in the Truckee area in July and want my son and I want to do some diving. Since it will be our first time there and only visiting, a guided venue would be great. We have heard that Patton Beach (Carnelian Bay) might be good and seems close to the Truckee area. We would love some insider information on where to dive and where to get equipment and any guided trips that might be available for a one day outing.

Thanks!

Paul

I would contact Sierra Diving Center in Reno they may be able to set you up they are about the only dive shop in the area unless you come down to the Sacramento area. You also have to remember it is altitude diving.

I highly suggest Meeks Bay and Hurricane Bay. Both are great spots, both are on the California side (so no having to tow a dive flag with you) and both offer access to water as deep as you would ever need. Meeks is my favorite though.

Check out Rubicon Point out of DL Bliss State Park. There are some pretty granite formations there. You might be able to hire a divemaster if you need one but it is pretty straight forward. The granite side is shore and the blue is the deep end. :)

Wherever you decide to dive, check out the sandy bottom towards the bramble. You'll find a lot of crawdads for your taking. You can do a boil after! No license needed.You can find them in 40-50 ft. It's fun to catch them.

It's not North Lake....but....it's fun. :)

if u have scooter. check out rubicon wall. launch from dl bliss beach , drive through campground. drop by the rock. no scooter go crawdading :) at meeks. 20ft dads are under rocks and trees. carry net to put em in. boil for 20 min with salt and spices. :)

Although a scooter would be nice, it is not required to dive Rubicon wall.
Lot's of cool topology and some sheer drop offs.

Pay attention and watch your depth. Can get deep quickly.

Much better to have your own gear. Finding a dive shop to rent from will be far.

I live in South Lake Tahoe CA and I dive out of Sierria dive center some of the best guys I have ever had the chance to get to know what time in July are you coming I have dove in sand harbor and it's fun and Meeks bay and hurricane bay is all great places I and my instructor is diving on the 18th of July at hurricane bay I hope you enjoy the view of Tahoe

Sand Harbor is a nice easy site, cool boulders and fish, easy entry, nice small family beach. You did not mention how experienced you are. Rubicon wall is 800 feet straight down to the bottom... Its nice, but if you mess up, its 800 feet before you stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom