Where to dive in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some help
Going to Malaysia peninsula in early April. Driving from KL I hope to get about 8 days diving in. My partner soes not dive but I am hoping to persuade her to do a discovery dive.
Any recomendations greatly received

Hi Victor,

There's nothing to dive on the west coast of Penninsula Malaysia so don't even bother. You'll have to take a plane and head to the east coast. Palau Redang would be the best option as it has activities for Dive Widows. You can see sharks and turtles there but the corals aren't great. The only other option is a long haul flight out to Borneo to dive the islands but then your holiday will turn into a dive holiday. Borneo has lots of options.

Have a great time. KL is great city.

Deano2:
Hi Victor,

There's nothing to dive on the west coast of Penninsula Malaysia so don't even bother. You'll have to take a plane and head to the east coast. Palau Redang would be the best option as it has activities for Dive Widows. You can see sharks and turtles there but the corals aren't great. The only other option is a long haul flight out to Borneo to dive the islands but then your holiday will turn into a dive holiday. Borneo has lots of options.

Have a great time. KL is great city.

Deano2 is right about the west coast and diving. You can dive at Pulau Payar from Langkawi Island, but while Langkawi itself is worth the trip, the diving isn't.

And you actually *don't* need to take a plane to go to the east coast. The new highway linking K.L. to Kuantan has significantly shortened the drive time across the peninsula, and you can get to Dungun (+/- 130 km north of Kuantan) in just a few hours from K.L. There you can begin a "dive safari" of the islands of Terengganu Marine Park, driving north to the various jetties that serve the different islands. You can get to Tenggol Island from Dungun; to Redang and Lang Tengah Islands from the Merang jetty, Kapas from the Marang jetty, and to Perhentian from the Kuala Besut jetty. (Hope I rememered all those jetties correctly :profile: ) The drive north is pleasant with many small towns along the way, and little stalls selling handicrafts like beautiful baskets. I did a "safari" like this during one week (two weekends and the intervening weekdays) last May and thouroughly enjoyed it. Getting back to K.L. from K.Terengganu takes a while, but can also be done in a longish day without a stopover to sleep.

Looking forward to blowing bubbles.
We will be driving, KL north to Penang for a quick look see, then over the top to the East coast. 2 days in KL at the begining and end of the trip staying with Family.
Planning 2 stops for 3/4 days so 1 in the north and 1 in the south. We won't make any final decisions until we get to KL.
Ah sun on my back and the waves tickling my toes, I cannot wait. The tickets arrived this morning so it is going to happen.

I'm a frequent diver to Perhentian islands, and I live in KL. Sometimes I drove my car via the Gua Musang road but lately, there's a new bus service from KL that goes straight to Kuala Besut jetty (no more taxi from Kota Bharu).

Now I take bus from Hentian Putra bus station, very comfortable and spacious and sleep all the way till it reaches Kuala Besut the next morning for the first boat to the island. Cost only RM25++ (depending on time, one way so it's about RM50/- return). You can try call them bus company, called Mahligai Express at 03-62592429 for more info.

I'm still looking for bus service that'd go straight to Merang jetty from KL (for Redang island trip).

Victor...west coast of Malaysia...forget ! You can' even see 2 meters. They arrange boat trips for island, expensive. !

And a friendly advise...don't let you credit card away. ( even in the hotels.)

Have a good holiday.

Babacool
SCUBALOVERS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom