Where to dive in January around Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there

Im visiting friends in Kuala Lumpur during New year and have 10 days in January before I fly back to Europe. Those 10 days should be spend on diving! But where?

Would love to dive in Tulamben, Bali - however, its monsoon season.. :(

Hope you can give me recommendations on country, area, and sites. Would really appreciate it!

Best,
Jules

Hi Jules,

It's Monsoon season on the East coast of peninsula Malaysia in January so if you want something near by you need to head to the west coast which is nice. Similans in Thailand is a good idea.

just head to sipadan... u wont regret it

Thanks for your response!
Diving around peninsula Malaysia is a bad idea (Im spending my new years eve at Langkawi, and that is not a place I want to dive .. again).

Ive been to Sipadan before and wouldnt mind go there again! Just wondered if there was other good places to dive that I havnt been to. Similian is definitely an option, but being on a budget Im not sure I can afford a liveaboard stay.

Im would like to hear more suggestions if possible - how is Brunei for diving in Jan.?

best,
Jules

From Langkawi, if you want to do a budget trip, just take a ferry over to Koh Lipe in Thailand. Let me know if you need more info about this and I can get specifics for you, but it's the perfect time of year, the place is very budget-oriented, and you don't have to fly anywhere, so you can spend all your money on diving. And the diving is very nice! (BTW, I agree entirely with you about the diving near Langkawi, but Lipe is nothing at all like the Langkawi area.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom