Where to dive in Greece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyme

Reaction score
I'm going to Italy in july.

Was thinking of going to greece to dive.

Where should I go? (and stay)

Is it worth going?

If not greece, where else should I consider (reachable from Italy and not 12 hours away)

rhyme:
I'm going to Italy in july.

Was thinking of going to greece to dive.

Where should I go? (and stay)

Is it worth going?

If not greece, where else should I consider (reachable from Italy and not 12 hours away)

Croatia?

Malta, the Red Sea, Turkey.

What do you want to see?
What's your experience?

Stating the obvious but why not dive in Italy ?

FWIW im in Greece currently on one of the nearer islands. All greek diving laws have changed to open it up so theres a LOT more potential here now. Italy however has some good diving so why not try there first?

Hey String, are the new laws in effect now? Will there be diving available on sites with ancient ruins? Any more details you can give us?

I was in Greece 12 or so years ago and loved it! Didn't go diving, but we did a little snorkelling. I would definitely consider going back if I could do some good diving.

Gregg

Laws changed as of feb 1st 2006 so pretty much everywhere is on limits. There are a few (17 i think in total) ancient sites that are off limits but thats pretty much it.

Cant give many more details yet as i only arrived last week.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hey String, are the new laws in effect now? Will there be diving available on sites with ancient ruins? Any more details you can give us?

I was in Greece 12 or so years ago and loved it! Didn't go diving, but we did a little snorkelling. I would definitely consider going back if I could do some good diving.

Gregg

Me too! Would love to hear some info?

OK for all you Greek news hungry people. Here is an update: Nothing has changed YET. The ministerial decisions have been published, which consists of many things, one of which says that to be a provider of diving services (Dive School) you have to have a certificate of proffiency in Greek........DUHHHHHH!! Well im Ok but this is just another way to stop thousands of foreigners coming and opening........The Greeks always tend to ****** things up they don't need any help with this they can manage quite well on their own!! I expect that by 2007 it will have returned to normal. I was talking to the commander of the coast guard at a place I'm not going to mention, he said quote," It was a lot easier before and this is the problem with us (Greeks) we always tend to over do everything"!! I leave the outcome of this new "LAW" to work and then see what happens............

There are some leftovers/messed up laws. One is a requirement for a greek-registered boat captain and instruction under a greek recognised instructor overseeing it.

Its causing logistic problems and could be some months before they sort out some of the mess.

We had a long meeting with the coastguard today working out exactly what is happening/will happen. The new laws are in effect but the red tape regarding licences is still taking a while to vanish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom