Where to dive in Florida for new divers other than the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DESIGNERDIVER

IS IT SUMMER YET?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,
I am scheduled foir my certification dives in key largo for December 29th and 30th. Before returning to NY I would like to dive again probably on january 2nd. I will be in the Jupiter area and wanted to get some suggestions on some good places to dive for a real "NEWBIE" I have read jupiter is NOT a place to go for new divers and do not feel comfotable attempting it. I do not prefer a shore dive. So can some of you reccomend a dive op and some sites appropriate for me. Shallower reef dive with low current. is the boyton area a consideration or lauderdale? Going back to the keys really would be a pain as it would be aprox another 3 hour drive and that would be tight with my schedule.
thanks in advance for all your help and I hope you all had a wonderful thanksgiving!:D

Daytona was nice for my wife and me. We went there when we got married.

I have heard good things about Ft Lauderdale. Crystal River, over on the Gulf side can be nice in January. The manatees will be in then

Have a good trip.

look no further then Jupiter Dive Center 561 745 7807 800 567 9723.
They are located on the water (the two dive boats are behind the shop) as you go toward Tequesta. They have a web site look them up. They drift dive reefs between 60 to 80 feet.
If you need a dive budy on Long Island give me a call, I live by Belmont racetrack.

thanks for the input but as I said am not comfotable diving jupiter yet. My fiance dives there frequently and it isdefinitly for more advanced divers. also west coast is too far for that day. maybe will look into lauderdale. thanks for the input............btw vinny you in queens?

West Palm Beach, just south of Jupiter has a boat for you! West Palm is an easy diving venue, and the boat "Starfish Enterprise" is set up to be easy to use. Many folks from the Orlando area make a Starfish trip with their dive shop right after certification. They have a lot of fun with it, and you should, too.

http://www.idivestarfish.com/

2 weeks ago today (It seems like a lot longer) I did my first dives outside of the quarry where I trained. We did 4 boat dives in the Ft Lauderdale area off the MV Hammertime:

• Barracuda Reef - 32ft
  • The Caves/Twin Ledges moorings - 29ft
  • a swim by tour of the Scutti/Tracey/Merci Jesus - 69ft
  • The Oakland Ridge moorings - 33ft

All of the locations we dove, except the Scutti were shallow reefs and easy dives with lots to see. Even for a Newbie like me....

The boat is docked near the Fort Lauderdale cruise port at the 17th St. Causeway.
Call them at (954) 572-2642 or check them out on the Web at Home - Scuba Emporium Florida

I live in Floral Park Nasau county.
Dive where you feel comfortable. Call shops in jupiter, west Palm, riveria beach and tell them what your comfort level is, they will help. You may want to ask when they take out student divers, those are usually shallower dives. There is also shore diving,try the bridge by Singer Island, water depth is around 18 feet. If you go there dont miss going to Sailfish marina for lunch/dinner.
Hope the ideas help.

You have many options here in the S FL area. Two that come to mind are Underwater Explorers in Boyton Beach, Kevin runs the op, is the DM in the water with you and frequents this board. Or Parrot Island Scuba in Fort Lauderdale where they almost always have at least one boat doing shallow wrecks and reefs. Both are in my opinion very safe ops and fit your early diving career. Good luck and enjoy.

Hi DD. Congrats on the certification dives and being able to be in Florida for the New Year and warmer weather. I am going to be Diving with Scuba Emporium via the Hamemertime out of Fort Lauderdale (previously mentioned by ScubaSteve) in mid January. All coms via email through Carolyn at carolyn@scubaemporiumfl.com have been great. You might want to give them a try and see what their availability is during that time.

I was certified by Scuba Emporium in Chicago and my instructor was great and I find that everybody in the shop is nice and extremely knowledgeable. Since these guys were trained by the Florida people, I can certainly make an educated guess that they will be great down there as well. I have been wonderfully pleased with the service, my only regret is that I do not live where it is warmer so I could dive more often and there is no way I will go anywhere near divable water when the temperature regularly gets below 55 degrees. Burr!

ScubaSteve- Not sure how you dove in the Quarry with the temps we have been getting here in Chicago. I might be a newbie but I could not do it. I have to wait until Spring/Early summer for the Quarry. So I will just keep planning and dreaming about trips I can take until then.

Anyway, DD please post an update as to who you ended diving with and how the diving went.

ScubaSteve- Not sure how you dove in the Quarry with the temps we have been getting here in Chicago. I might be a newbie but I could not do it. I have to wait until Spring/Early summer for the Quarry. So I will just keep planning and dreaming about trips I can take until then.
LD - My last trip to the quarry was 10/18&19. Air tmeps were mid-low 50's, water temps around 65F on the shallow side. Not bad in a 7mil, I was only cold during the SI's while doing knowledge reviews and even that wasn't too bad.... On the deep side, below 50' it did get a bit chily... high 50'sF and all the way down to 46F in The Hole (That was cold!! :shocked2: )

You shouldn't have that issue in January, the Hammertime crew told me that even then water temps should be mid 70's... The lowest temp my computer recorded 2 weeks ago was 77F, and that was at 69ft!! I wore a 3mil and was toasty, even with the steady breeze during the SI's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom