Where to dive in Dominican Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all!
My wife and I will be attending a wedding in April 2019 in Punta Cana, DR and wondering about diving while we are there. Is it worth doing any diving around Punta Cana or should we opt for going to Bayahibe instead? How far is it from Punta Cana to Bayahibe and would any dive operation be willing to pick us up in Punta Cana and take us to Bayahibe? I don't think splitting up our stay between the two locations would really be an option as we would really like to stay in Punta Cana with our friends (parents of the bride). Still debating taking some or all of our own gear vs renting especially if we only do a couple days of diving.

The diving around Punta Cana is bad. The best diving is out of Bayahibe on the south Caribbean coast. There are reef, wreck, wall dives and even a cave dive if you are so certified. I always dive with John from Scuba Fun. He has a small local dive shop in Bayahibe. He will pick you up in Punta Cana and has specials that include transportation to and from Punta Cana.
ScubaFun | Specials

How does the diving in Bayahibe compare to places like Cozumel, Bonaire, or Roatann?

I haven't been to Roatan. I didn't care for the diving on Bonaire, and it's been 8 years since I have been to Cozumel. The diving is shallower (20 to 80 ft), there is any current to speak of. The reefs are similar. There isn't any big stuff such as sharks. There is a ton of Sting Rays, spotted rays, eels, Puffer fish, trumpet fish, flounder, and lobster. The big wreck is the St. George, it's 240 ft freighter that is 144 ft to the sand. There is a couple of 1800's wreck sites that still have the anchor, canons, pottery, and racks with the muskets still on them. I seen 4 spotted rays, 3 eels, and 3 or 4 puffer fish on one dive on a reef 30 ft deep.

The road trip is about about 50 minutes each way. Arrange a custom trip and you can take your non-divers with you. They can snorkel while you dive. Amp it up and do a custom tour to Sanoa Island as well. Go Dive Bayahibe and others can do this for you.
I find the diving similar to Roatan. I have made 8 trips to the Bay Islands.
No one I talked to said they would bother to dive again in Punta Cana, but I did not try it. This is my fourth trip to Bayahibe.

I would not dive Punta Cana again. We did a day trip to Catalina Island on the Caribbean side which was ok. My least favourite diving to date. That said, I'm just getting started having been to St Lucia, Grenada and St Vincent as my only other dive trips.

We were in Bayahibe a few weeks ago and went out with ScubaFun again. Did St. George, Atlantic Princess, and night dive which was a lot of fun. Saw the rays, eels, trumpet fish, puffer fish, and a frog fish. This has become a favorite destination for us, not because we have a lot to compare it to, but because it is an easy trip from Boston and there are good people at ScubaFun.

I would not dive Punta Cana again. We did a day trip to Catalina Island on the Caribbean side which was ok. My least favourite diving to date. That said, I'm just getting started having been to St Lucia, Grenada and St Vincent as my only other dive trips.

What did you think of St. Vincent?

Have to agree with everything above.

My recollection of the diving in Punta Cana (circa 2004) was lots of sand, dead coral, plastic bags stuck in the sand, and the odd fish swimming around. Lots of surge. I doubt it has changed much since then.

I did not dive at Bayahibe, but we did a snorkelling tour there off of Catalina Island, and I was blown away by that. I said then that if we ever o back to DR, that we would be staying at Bayahibe.

What did you think of St. Vincent?

It was fantastic! Looks like we have direct flights now from Canada. Great Lionfish hunting, reefs, walls and visibility. I was actually there for a conference but got 6 dives in with Indigo Dive. They are owned by a young Swiss couple. They picked us up by boat at the beach in front of our hotel. It was just myself and my Wife so a very personalized experience. I would highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom