Where to dive - end of May/June 2010?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caralynch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I live in KL and am looking for somewhere to dive for the 10 days I have off between 28th May and 6th June. I'd love to do a Liveaboard and would really like to see whale sharks and manta rays. Just wondering where I'm more likely to see them at that time of year?
Thanks in advance :cool2:

Oh dear, you have too many choices.....

During May/June you could see whales sharks in The Red Sea.

There is a really good chance to see manta rays and maybe a whale shark in Australia at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea. Watch out for Minke Whales to at Ribbon Reefs :eyebrow: Nigaloo Reef in Western Australia is renowned for whale sharks too.

Maldives could be a very good option.

Closer to home...how about Komodo?

Or just pop off to your own backyard and check out the stunning Layang Layang.:D

Yeah, we'd like to stay closer to home, i.e. South East Asia. Are we likely to see "big stuff" at Komodo or Layang Layang at that time of year?

I think it is the end of the hammerhead season in Layang Layang and I'm not aware of frequent manta/whale-shark sightings there. Generally April/May is the best time to go.

Honestly, if you are not very experienced yet, perhaps Komodo is not a great idea either. The place is known for fierce currents.

You could try your luck at Donsol in the Philippines - known for ample whale sharks and some Mantas, but it is rather late for whale sharks over there as well (March/April are usually the best months). No scuba is allowed with whale sharks in Donsol, only snorkeling.

Sangalaki (eastern Kalimantan -Indonesian Borneo) has a reputation for resident Mantas. The resort on Sangalaki was closed recently, but there should be other operators that can take you there. Note that you can easily snorkel with Mantas there and in fact get much closer to them that way. Not sure about whalesharks though.

Thanks, guys.
We looked into Ningaloo but it was too expensive so are going to the Maldives instead! So exciting.
Thanks for all your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom