Where to buy supplies in Kona Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a great deal on a room and air to hawaii. My first trip with the YBOD. Is there any place to rent tanks and buy sodasorb or should I bring everything with? Any have to do dives on the Big Island?

Tim

tnt2020:
I just got a great deal on a room and air to hawaii. My first trip with the YBOD. Is there any place to rent tanks and buy sodasorb or should I bring everything with? Any have to do dives on the Big Island?
You mean Rebreather Diving On Kona ? :D
Stefan

I don't know of any Rebreather-friendly shops in Kona but I would recommend checking with Jack's Diving Locker (www.jacksdivinglocker.com). They can probably help you or direct you to someone who can.

As far as "must do" dives, you have to do the night manta ray dive. It's phenomenal! Also, there is a great shore dive at Place of Refuge. It's also called Two Steps because there are two steps to the water. Any of the shops can give you directions.

Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous!!!

tnt2020:

Tim

Tim, I believe the Kona Aggressor uses/has rebreathers. You might try and contact them to see where they their stuff, or if you could purchase from them.

Poog

tnt2020:

Tim

I did a rebreather intro with Eco-Adventures in Kona a few years ago. I'm sure they have sodasorb and they probably rent tanks.

Make sure you do the manta ray night dive, Its awesome.

tnt2020:

Tim
Jack's Diving Locker has Rebreathers for rent and even has classes and refreshers for those who have used rebreathers in the past but might be a bit rusty. www.jacksdivinglocker.com or 800 345-4807.

Kirk

tnt2020:
[...]is there any place to rent tanks and buy sodasorb [...]Tim

You can get sodasorb (4-8 medical grade) at Airgas (used to be Gaspro). About $90
per pail (~37 lbs). They've moved up to the New Industrial Area near Home Depot.

Tanks - your YBOD uses 19CF cylinders with cross-flow DIN valves, yes? I don't
know of any shop on the island that has those available - you might want to bring
them with you (or ship them in advance to avoid TSA hassles).

You can get O2 fills at Jack's Diving Locker
(they have access to a Haskel).

Ron Benson just posted this, so I thought I pass some of it on.

Ron Benson:
... Kona HI where I spent a week ccr diving ... Jim Holt of Konaquatica who provided me with all of the rebreather cylinders, gas and chemical ... he has several sets of onboard and offboard stage cylinders ... I was in a mixed group of ccr's ... Meg ... two KISS Classics ... Inspiration and he has all the cylinders ready to go.
If your headed that way check him out www.konaquatica.com

tnt2020:

Tim
Hi Tim,

There's no need to travel with scuba tanks if you're planning to scuba dive in Kona. There are several good dive shops in Kona that rent tanks etc.. At Jack's Diving Locker, where I work, we have Rebreathers for rent and can even sell you one if you place your order before you leave. We don't rent the tanks for Rebreathers but we do sell Sodasorb. We have tons of regular Scuba tanks in various sizes for rent and sale. You can also rent fins, masks, snorkels, wetsuits, lights, cameras and weights if you'd like to do a few shore dives. We have 3 great boats from which we host classic 2 and 3 tank dive charters. We also have night/manta dives, black water and blue water dives for the really adventurous folk. We also have a great selection of gear for sale. We carry several brands of regulators, wetsuits, BCDs, fins, masks and snorkels.

So, if you want to dive in Kona drop by Jack's Diving Locker. I'm sure you'll be able to find just about anything you need for a fun day of diving.

If you have any special requests feel free to give us a call at 1 (800) 345-4807. If you want to make sure that we have what you need when you arrive please do call us ahead of time.

Mahalo,

Kirk

Kirk, RebreatherWorld is working on a list of rebreather friendly destinations. We've been working on it for a couple of days and it should be online soon. Check back in a day or two and you should be able to add yours. It's a searchable data base, very nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom