Where to buy - PDC or Coz for reef & cenote (maybe cave someday)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barefoot_Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for input. If you were to experience a windfall of money in the next few months, would you buy on Cozumel or somewhere around PDC? My wife and I love diving - she loves reefs more (Cozumel) and I am intrigued by the cenote tours I’ve done and pursuing initial technical training now. We would plan to rent it out when not there on vacation until retirement in 10-20 years. Any recommendations? We loved Mareazul just outside of PDC, but it was a ghost toun and I could help but think it was a front for laundering money or something.

I am pretty proficient in Spanish and she is fluent, if it makes a difference.

I'm a cave diver, so that might make me a little biased, but I've also been to Cozumel at least 20 times, and I love diving there. If I were looking to buy a place and live there, I would choose the mainland for sure. There are just way more possible locations, variety of places, and Playa is a real city with all the things that entails; some good and maybe some not-so-good. It's much more convenient to get to and from, way better shopping for life's necessities, etc.

But, if what you want to do is dive every day, in the ocean, obviously Cozumel is the place for that. Maybe you should do some air bnb sort of thing for a month in each before you decide.

i know a bit about the pdc real estate market if you have any specific questions.

if money was no object i would not choose mexico at all. i would look a grand cayman if it was me.

but between coz and pdc i think the post above sums it up pretty well.

i know a bit about the pdc real estate market if you have any specific questions.

if money was no object i would not choose mexico at all. i would look a grand cayman if it was me.

but between coz and pdc i think the post above sums it up pretty well.

In order to please my wife, it probably needs to be Mexico, but I get what you are saying. She lived alone in Culiacan, Sinaloa for 2 years after college and I nearly had to handcuff her to prevent her from bringing our kids there a few years ago. We visited ~15 years ago and Culiacan was bad then. It’s no-go territory for me now.

Having said that, when we visited PDC this year, we drove all over the place (during the day) and are generally ok with the safety as it is right now. I am pretty good at pulling off the disheveled moron look.

I would be interested to hear about the PDC real estate market and what restrictions / concerns US citizens should have buying Mexican real estate.

Specifically, I would love to know why Mareazul, which seemed beautiful and well kept, was such a ghost town during spring break this year - I don’t think it was Covid? The condo we stayed in is for sale and I am tempted, but very skeptical with the fact it hasn’t sold yet and the apparent lack of use of the entire complex.

Have you looked at Puerto Aventuras? You made a couple of comments about safety, I think that place might appeal to you. It's down the road from central playa about 15-20 minutes.

private message sent

Back
Top Bottom