Where to buy NiMH AA batteries(2300ma +) and charger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a new camera and need to buy some good quality rechargable batteries as those things just "eat" the alkalines!

Where's the best place to buy some?

I'm looking for double-A's (AA) that are 2300ma (+/-) most likely in a 12 to 16 pack (qty) and a good charger that will charge 4 to 6 batteries at a time and does it in a reasonable amount of time, but overnight isn't bad really either.

I found several places on the internet with Google, but don't know how the "quality" of these batteries or chargers are and looking for a place that someone here has bought from and was happy with. A perfect example of this is that I bought some at an electronics show several years ago and they were pretty crappy. So any insight or guidance here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. -Mike

Easy.

www.batteryspace.com
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=587

$26.95 for a smart charger with car plug and 12 2300mAh cells. Get the CH-P1000 charger, not the CH-V1880 (the connectors on the V1880 are kinda tight and it has no cover).

I've used them extensively, as have all of my friends, and their cells are high quality. Their customer service tends to be well-meaning, but kinda bumbling.. and they don't speak English especially well. But they're very nice :)

BTW, keep the alkalines when your digital camera is done with them. They still have lots of charge left and work great as spares for remote controls.

the place i order my batteries from is ripvan100 were i just got 12 sanyo 2500's for 3.25 a cell which is a real good price. the only thing they didnt send is the little plastic cases for the batteries that normally come with them, but i can get those from thomas distributing for a buck a piece. i will probably get more batteries in the fall as ideally i need about 5-6 sets of batteries in my bag at anytime to keep me going while shooting or even when diving.

as for a charger im currently looking at the maha chargers as those are next on my list. the current model im looking at is the C401FS as it will charge the cells indepently and will either charge fast or slow depending on what you need. the other charger im looking at in the future would be the laccrosse bc 900 as its a charger similar to what i used when i raced RC cars as it can test and charge and maintain cells as well as tell me what condition they are in so i can replace or condition a cell when it needs it.

FWIW

Tooth

jonnythan:
BTW, keep the alkalines when your digital camera is done with them. They still have lots of charge left and work great as spares for remote controls.

amen to that, but thats now why i have close to a hundred AA's for use in other items ?(dont laugh as i got a huge brick of energizers from a rep and slowly worked through the 120 cell brick) but now im using rechargables that my dad got a year ago and so i have had plenty of time with the various cells and chargers out there.

Tooth

http://www.greenbatteries.com - If you plan to travel to the Caribbean be sure to get the travel charger that is rated 115-240 volts 50 - 60 cycles.....

A few things to remember when buying NiMH batteries and chargers.

1) NiMH batteries rated at 2100 ma and higher are rated for 500 recharges, those rated for 2000 ma and lower are rated for 1000 recharges. If you need capacity and are a seasonal user, the higher rated batteries would be the wise choice. If you are a regular user, and will be recharging often, you should consider the 2000 ma batteries and double the life expectancy for a minor sacrifice of battery in use life.

2) Not all batteries are the same! Batteries from differing manufacturers, which are labeled the same, will not perform the same. Check out this web site for some good detailed info on batteries and chargers. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

3) The charger is by far THE most important factor that determines both battery life and charge state. When under charge, the battery will heat up, how much it heats up will determine to a great degree whether or not the battery is being damaged. The two most common types of chargers are “intelligent” and “timer based”. Timer based simply apply charge voltage and turn off after a pre-set time, usually 6 hours. Some may include a basic test circuit to test they type or charge state of a battery, but in general they are cheap and will seldom provide a full charge and can be as low as 80 percent charged. You can not leave batteries in these chargers to keep them topped off, and are most often only rated for one type of battery such as 1600 ma only.

Intelligent chargers come in several variants, but in simple terms they are 1, 2, or 3 stage chargers, and can charge a wide range of battery capacity types (1000 ma to 2300 ma). A 1 stage charger will measure the battery, and apply a full charge current to the battery, shutting off when it reaches “full”. They tend to only charge to about 85 to 90 percent of rated capacity. A 2 stage charger, will act like a 1 stage, but when it reaches “full” it switches to trickle charge to top off the batteries to nearly 100 percent. A 3 stage charger has the extra feature of letting you leave the batteries in them, as they apply a trickle charge periodically to keep them topped off, and are the only ones that can safely do this without damaging the batteries.

4) Finally you should know how to store NiMH batteries if not in use for extended periods without damaging them. Manufacturers specifications vary, but the most common is to store them in the fridge, with only a partial charge. However check the manufacturers specs. to ensure you don’t damage them.

Hope this helps in your quest for batteries. As we all know, or soon find out, a good set of fully charged batteries will make a great difference when under the water.

pt40fathoms:
A few things to remember when buying NiMH batteries and chargers.

1) NiMH batteries rated at 2100 ma and higher are rated for 500 recharges, those rated for 2000 ma and lower are rated for 1000 recharges.
Where does that info come from?

jonnythan:
Where does that info come from?

Several sources, mostly the manufacturers sites that list the specifications for the batteries, as well as the site linked on my earlier post.

Sucks though, It would be nice to have the higher cap batteries and still retain the longer life. Maybe some smart chemist or engineer will figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom