Where to buy a lobstering kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know where I can buy a lobstering kit that would comply with MA regulations?

1) bag
2) tickle stick
3) gauge
4) rubber bands
5) banding tool
6) tank tag

I found where these items can be bought individually, but it gets pretty pricey (around $100 or so). Also it seems like the web is full of kits for Florida (with snares, catching nets, and a 4" gauge) in $25-$30 ballpark, so there is gotta be something like this for MA...

Welcome Scuba-74. You can get any or all of these items are your local dive shop but another cheaper option is look on Amazon. Were you looking to lobster hunt for the remainder of the season? Asking because it's late October and the bugs here in NE are beginning to migrate to deeper waters for the year. You may want to hold off on getting this gear until the beginning of next season, around early July of 2018. The bugs are most present late July-late September, with peak hunting in August.

Lastly, don't forget that if you shore dive and hunt here in NE, each diver must have their own dive flag with their lobster lic number printed on the flag.

Welcome Scuba-74. You can get any or all of these items are your local dive shop but another cheaper option is look on Amazon. Were you looking to lobster hunt for the remainder of the season? Asking because it's late October and the bugs here in NE are beginning to migrate to deeper waters for the year. You may want to hold off on getting this gear until the beginning of next season, around early July of 2018. The bugs are most present late July-late September, with peak hunting in August.

Lastly, don't forget that if you shore dive and hunt here in NE, each diver must have their own dive flag with their lobster lic number printed on the flag.

Thank you, scbaNE2179.

Most likely, I will begin next season, as you are suggesting. I don't have a license now, so even if I manage to get out there in the remainder of this season, it wouldn't justify paying $55 in 2017 (I understand the permit if for a calendar year, although it is not at all obvious on the Dept website). I couldn't find these items on Amazon (or anywhere else) as a kit, but I have seen individual items. I'll try calling my LDS, although I don't remember seeing this gear last time I went there...

I remember about the flag with numbers... They don't make it very easy for us, do they? :)

LDS for the gage and catch bag(s), stencils for painting the flag, and I'm using mailbox stickers on plastic from a 2 liter. 3" high by 1/2" wide numbers for both flag and tanks! I prefer the "swat" method over bringing a stick. Also, you can lanyard the bag. Don't let your flag float away in all the excitement!

LDS for the gage and catch bag(s), stencils for painting the flag, and I'm using mailbox stickers on plastic from a 2 liter. 3" high by 1/2" wide numbers for both flag and tanks! I prefer the "swat" method over bringing a stick. Also, you can lanyard the bag. Don't let your flag float away in all the excitement!

I feel like the "swat" method will take me some time to get comfortable with.

I feel like the "swat" method will take me some time to get comfortable with.

I don't bother with silly tickle sticks-I get a pair of cheap gloves, reach in and grab with all fury. I don't waste time fiddling around with poking around. And yes, they WILL bite and yes, HOLY HELL does it hurt.

I use a three point spear great for tickling and good for a flounder dinner ...Get the one hand opener catch bag

Most dive shops in the area stock everything you need. I know Boston SCUBA in East Boston stocks everythin you listed and it’s all commercial fishing equipment so it’ll last as long as you have it.

Unfortunately nobody really stocks full kits as it seems like there is really no one size fits all. If people go primarially on charters then they don’t need bands and I know a lot of people don’t use tickle sticks.

no - you can have multiple #s on the same flag.

Most dive shops in the area stock everything you need. I know Boston SCUBA in East Boston stocks everythin you listed and it’s all commercial fishing equipment so it’ll last as long as you have it.

Unfortunately nobody really stocks full kits as it seems like there is really no one size fits all. If people go primarially on charters then they don’t need bands and I know a lot of people don’t use tickle sticks.

Thank you! By now I have almost everything I need. Last thing to buy is a tickle stick, which I'm sure I'll find before now and the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom