Where to become a scuba instuctor? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyT24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm very interested in pursuing a career as a dive instructor. I'm currently researching where I can do this. I'm looking specifically at Career Development Centres in Florida and Honduras. My main concern is getting work upon completion of the IDC, however I still would like to take the courses someplace exotic/exciting. I would really like some 3rd party feedback and suggestions as to where people have gone and how easy it has been to find work after. Any help is greatly appreciated!

TracyT24:
I'm very interested in pursuing a career as a dive instructor. I'm currently researching where I can do this. I'm looking specifically at Career Development Centres in Florida and Honduras. My main concern is getting work upon completion of the IDC, however I still would like to take the courses someplace exotic/exciting. I would really like some 3rd party feedback and suggestions as to where people have gone and how easy it has been to find work after. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I dont think you can go wrong with Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale.

I have heard that the IDC program at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan is pretty good. But I am not an instructor, so I don't have first hand experience with it. You can check it out at http://www.idcanthonyskey.com

Dion :)

Why not take your course in Canada?

Cold Water/Canadian divers usually have pretty good credentials when looking for work because of the level of difficulty and conditions (vis, temperature, currents) with all the extra gear you dive with.

If you can become an instructor up here, warm water diving will be much easier.

That's just my opinion though, I'm sure there are lots of great warm water schools as well. Something to think about though.

I did my IDC at Utila Dive Centre. That was years ago and I am still working as an instructor and enjoying it. I thnk that was in a big part due to the training I received at UDC. If you want more info on the course you can PM me.

Have fun

Look at Ban's diving resort on Koh Tao, Thailand. Its pretty cheap, and you can have a great holiday there too. I did my Rescue course with them and when I do my instructors I plan to do it there

TheYellowSubmarine:
Look at Ban's diving resort on Koh Tao, Thailand. Its pretty cheap, and you can have a great holiday there too. I did my Rescue course with them and when I do my instructors I plan to do it there

Ban's is actually where I did my Advanced course, so I know that they are an excellent facility. At present though I'm hoping to keep my flight costs down by staying closer to home. I'd love to go work in Thailand eventually though!

Speaking of dive instructors... I am considering going down that path eventually. I dont know if I would want to make it my career but teaching or certifying divers on weekends and some weeknight would be something I'm interested in. Is there a market for this kind of work? Btw : I live in Chicago.

TracyT24:
Ban's is actually where I did my Advanced course, so I know that they are an excellent facility. At present though I'm hoping to keep my flight costs down by staying closer to home. I'd love to go work in Thailand eventually though!

Boracay, Philippines. It's kind of far and the airfare is probably about US$1,200 or so BUT, it's cheap to stay there off season. You can eat local food for about US$1 or so per meal and lots of instructor candidates hang around and work after they pass the IE. You won't get rich but you can survive and dive a lot. Contact:
http://www.calypso-asia.com/main.htm There are about 21 other shops there that operate year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom