Where should I live in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting ready to move to Florida, if you could live anywhere in the state as a diver where would it be?

What kind of diving do you like, and is money a factor?

Would like to do both shore and boat diving. Probably in a one or two bedroom condo

Would like to do both shore and boat diving. Probably in a one or two bedroom condo
Right. Spearing, photography, will you work, are you retired? Can you stand the isolation of the Keys after living in New York, or do you live up near Glens Falls, so are used to not having services when you want them. Shore diving sucks in Florida.

When my mom wanted to move to florida, we took a 10 day vacation and drove around the area she was interested in. Every day we pulled into a new town, picked up a list of properties in her price range and did drive by to see neighborhood, with promise that we would call for inside looks, if we liked the “environs”. You could do that, but instead, drive and dive each couple days with new outfit, probably boat dives all around.
First stop, Sands Resort and marina, Pompano Beach, near Ft Lauderdale. Lots of Condos in that area, great diving, cruise and flights to other places too.

I wouldn't.

Live somewhere else and travel to Florida if you want to.

Its over rated.

Probably the Fort Lauderdale area. You have limited shore diving there and in the Palm Beach area (50 minutes). Plus you have boat charters available within 90 minutes from Jupiter to Key Largo.

Probably time for a road trip when the corona issues subside:)

Hi @martin burke

After diving from Key Largo to Jupiter for over a decade, I bought a townhouse just north of Boynton Beach. I do all my diving in Boynton Beach, West Palm, including the BHB, and Jupiter. I'm a couple of minutes from the Boynton Harbor Marina, 15 miles from West Palm and the BHB, and 30 miles from Jupiter. Pompano Beach is 25 miles south and Ft Lauderdale is 35 miles. It's 120 miles to Key Largo if I feel like diving the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb. The airport in West Palm is very convenient and only 10 miles from my home. I have also used Ft Lauderdale a few times.

It's not inexpensive doing a lot of boat diving. When I can't dive, I ride my bike quite a bit. @letterboy makes a good point above, I'm not sure I would want to be in Florida full time. My wife is not as avid a diver as I am and we have other things to do now that we are both retired.

Nearly 1200 dives later, I enjoy the diving in Florida very much, and find it comparable and complimentary to the better diving in the Caribbean.

Best of luck in your quest

Hi @martin burke

After diving from Key Largo to Jupiter for over a decade, I bought a townhouse just north of Boynton Beach. I do all my diving in Boynton Beach, West Palm, including the BHB, and Jupiter. I'm a couple of minutes from the Boynton Harbor Marina, 15 miles from West Palm and the BHB, and 30 miles from Jupiter. Pompano Beach is 25 miles south and Ft Lauderdale is 35 miles. It's 120 miles to Key Largo if I feel like diving the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb. The airport in West Palm is very convenient and only 10 miles from my home. I have also used Ft Lauderdale a few times.

It's not inexpensive doing a lot of boat diving. When I can't dive, I ride my bike quite a bit. @letterboy makes a good point above, I'm not sure I would want to be in Florida full time. My wife is not as avid a diver as I am and we have other things to do now that we are both retired.

Nearly 1200 dives later, I enjoy the diving in Florida very much, and find it comparable and complimentary to the better diving in the Caribbean.

Best of luck in your quest
For the price of round trip tickets and cheap airbnb's IMHO living down here isn't for everyone.

On that note does the OP want to buy a 2 bed 2 bath in a golf course in deerfield Beach?

:rofl3:

I'm getting ready to move to Florida, if you could live anywhere in the state as a diver where would it be?

As a Florida resident I ask, WHY?
Seriously you do need to ask yourself a few/many questions to arrive at a good answer...
How is your health? Better hospitals tend to be clustered in certain areas.
Do you like urban or rural areas? Often there is a big cost of living difference between these two areas.
Do you like strange/different cultures? Google Key West, Miami, the Villages, Orlando to see the very wide variety.
Do you like hurricanes? Some areas get hit more often than others.
How often are you really going to dive? Daily, weekly ? This might determine how close you want to be to divesites. Miami to Key West can’t be a really long trip sometimes.
Do you like heat, humidity and old people? Because there is a lot of each.

Best bang for the buck would be boat diving from Jupiter down to Fort Lauderdale area. As @Bubblesong suggested, spending extended time in several areas before making a choice would be a great idea. Also remember that in many places, the feel of the area changes depending of the season.

Good luck on your quest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom