Where Should I Go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradStyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I'm going to be out in Florida visiting friends next month, down in the Keys, and I can probably squeeze in an extra week for some diving. It doesn't have to be in the Keys, I can go anywhere in state. I like large pelagic life and interesting terrain features... swim throughs, caverns, etc. I've got about 300 dives, AOW+Nitrox, but I've never dived anywhere in the USA before.

Any suggestions?

The Keys give you shallow reefs and deep wreck dives.

If you really want big animal encounters, you could head north to Jupiter. You could go for general diving such as with Jupiter Dive Center, or a (controversial) shark-feed dive trip to get better odds of closer encounters with more species.

I don't know off the top of my head what animals are apt to be seen in the Jupiter area in March. Other than the wreck of the Esso Bonaire and the MG-111 dive site, it wasn't a particularly interesting area structurally. While up in that area, you could take a side trip to shore dive Blue Heron Bridge.

I linked trip reports for Key Largo, Jupiter Dive Center and Emerald Charters so you can how they compared for me.

The Keys give you shallow reefs and deep wreck dives.

If you really want big animal encounters, you could head north to Jupiter. You could go for general diving such as with Jupiter Dive Center, or a (controversial) shark-feed dive trip to get better odds of closer encounters with more species.

I don't know off the top of my head what animals are apt to be seen in the Jupiter area in March. Other than the wreck of the Esso Bonaire and the MG-111 dive site, it wasn't a particularly interesting area structurally. While up in that area, you could take a side trip to shore dive Blue Heron Bridge.

I linked trip reports for Key Largo, Jupiter Dive Center and Emerald Charters so you can how they compared for me.

This is good advice. If I were you and had a car I’d dive the deep wrecks in Largo (Spiegel Grove, USCGC Bibb, and USCGC Duane). The reefs in Largo are nice for swim throughs and wildlife watching as well. I’d also drive North to Jupiter to see Lemon Sharks, Loggerhead turtles, and maybe a Goliath or two. March is the beginning of Loggerhead nesting season around Jupiter. That being said I saw 7 Loggerheads on two dives yesterday so they’re already around.

While you’re up in Jupiter I’d also recommend diving the Blue Heron Bridge. There is also great diving around Riviera Beach and Pompano. That should easily take up a week.

West Palm Beach in March

I do almost all of my FL dining in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. I do love the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb. Deep drifts on Molasses and French Reef can be quite good. Horizon Divers offers double dips on the wrecks

@BradStyle. let me know if I can answer any question regarding BB, Jupiter, WP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom