Where should I go after business in Atlanta and Greenville???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be flying from LAX to ATL on the 11th of this month. I anticipate being in ATL the 12th and part of the 13th. 13th will be in Greenville, SC for a work visit. Work could possibly extend into the 14th, but assuming that I could dive the 13th, 14th or both, then where should I go?

I know NC is hot for offshore wrecks, but I'm only OW certified. Charleston? Haven't seen what's out that way, but it would also easily let me fly back to LAX from there.

Suggestions?

Lake Jocassee is about an hour away from Greenville, great place to dive! Lake Jocassee Dive Shop is right there on Lake Jocassee Road if you need any rentals.

I will be flying from LAX to ATL on the 11th of this month. I anticipate being in ATL the 12th and part of the 13th. 13th will be in Greenville, SC for a work visit. Work could possibly extend into the 14th, but assuming that I could dive the 13th, 14th or both, then where should I go?

I know NC is hot for offshore wrecks, but I'm only OW certified. Charleston? Haven't seen what's out that way, but it would also easily let me fly back to LAX from there.

Suggestions?
Lake Jocassee. It's only about 45 minutes from Greenville and has some wonderful diving at around 65'. There's a sunken ski boat, Chinese junk, graveyard, motorcycle.... there is a ledge nearby that will allow deeper dives, but there is plenty to see at 65' and the visibility is good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's not clear to me whether you're envisioning driving or flying from Atlanta or Greenville to go diving. I would consider coastal SC or NC to be a LONG drive from Greenville. Now, if you're considering taking a short flight, maybe look into flying to New Bern airport, which is a short drive to Morehead City, NC. Wreck diving galore. The Myrtle Beach, SC area has wreck diving as well. Charleston not so much--I would say it is not worth the effort. As for others' suggestions of Lake Jocassee, well, that's certainly the closest diving. I don't find Jocassee to be very interesting--cold, murky lakes with junk that people have placed for divers to look at just is not my thing.

I don't find Jocassee to be very interesting--cold, murky lakes with junk that people have placed for divers to look at just is not my thing.

You need to get a good light and get down into the forest.

In Charleston you can muck dive for Meg teeth... if you go to Morehead, you can do a long, fun surface interval at the Morehead City Marlins minor league baseball game.

realistically it's not worth diving on this trip, sorry.... Nothing at Jocassee is worth going to see compared to where you live, and everything else that is worth going to is much too far of a drive.... You're over an hour to Jocassee from Greenville, 2 hours to the PDRA quarries in CLT, 3 hours to Charleston where there just isn't much to see. The good wrecks are all much too far of a drive for a day trip. There are much better things to do in Greenville than drive to mediocre diving. The Greenville Drive have games all week that week, cheap beer night is on Thursday, it's quite good. Thursday is also Downtown Alive where they close off a good chunk of Main St. and have live bands playing and beer and what not. Much better way to spend your time. Go diving in CA where you can see good stuff, or make a dedicated trip out here once you're AOW and Nitrox certified to dive out of Morehead.

You need to get a good light and get down into the forest.

Well, okay.

There are apparently some fascinating things to see that were covered by 200+ feet of water when the dam created the lake: forest, a graveyard, a school, and I don't know what else. Not something for recreational divers like me.

For those who don't know, the damming of the river is a theme in the movie Deliverance. Dive and hear the banjos.

In Atlanta - if you can be done before 3PM - https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/exp...ney-with-gentle-giants/dive-with-whale-sharks $335 though...

You might try Myrtle Beach - it's a 4 hr. drive from Greenville. Express Watersports is there - or Coastal Scuba. Both have an idea of what they dive on their websites - including some recreational depth wrecks. Express is diving the 13-14-15-16th if you can extend into the weekend. I've dove with them, I only know Coastal by name.

Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving | Express Water Sports
Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving - Coastal Scuba

Of all the dives either is doing only the Vermillion is questionable for a newer diver - it's considered an advanced dive. In that area the further out you get, the better the visibility generally.

Plus there's a lot to do in Myrtle Beach while burning your 18hrs. no-fly time. Broadway on the Beach in North Myrtle has attractions, restaurants and the Ripley's Aquarium.

It's not clear to me whether you're envisioning driving or flying from Atlanta or Greenville to go diving. I would consider coastal SC or NC to be a LONG drive from Greenville. Now, if you're considering taking a short flight, maybe look into flying to New Bern airport, which is a short drive to Morehead City, NC. Wreck diving galore. The Myrtle Beach, SC area has wreck diving as well. Charleston not so much--I would say it is not worth the effort. As for others' suggestions of Lake Jocassee, well, that's certainly the closest diving. I don't find Jocassee to be very interesting--cold, murky lakes with junk that people have placed for divers to look at just is not my thing.

Yeah, I'm not looking to do any freshwater diving. I'm just starting to get dialed in with weighting for using different kinds of tanks in saltwater. However, I don't consider 6hrs to be a long drive for a day of diving, which Morehead City is within according to Google Maps from Greenville. Does that help? Where would I go then?

After I posted the question, I started looking at Charleston, because I figured that's where responses might lead. Kind of surprised.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 11:00 AM ----------

In Atlanta - if you can be done before 3PM - https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/exp...ney-with-gentle-giants/dive-with-whale-sharks $335 though...

You might try Myrtle Beach - it's a 4 hr. drive from Greenville. Express Watersports is there - or Coastal Scuba. Both have an idea of what they dive on their websites - including some recreational depth wrecks. Express is diving the 13-14-15-16th if you can extend into the weekend. I've dove with them, I only know Coastal by name.

Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving | Express Water Sports
Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving - Coastal Scuba

Of all the dives either is doing only the Vermillion is questionable for a newer diver - it's considered an advanced dive. In that area the further out you get, the better the visibility generally.

Plus there's a lot to do in Myrtle Beach while burning your 18hrs. no-fly time. Broadway on the Beach in North Myrtle has attractions, restaurants and the Ripley's Aquarium.

Don't think I'd splurge for the whale shark. I'd rather try seeing it in the ocean by going to where they may roam rather than the aquarium, and when I think that it's over $11/min .... !!! Myrtle Beach looks promising though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom