Where is the Best Overall Diving in Africa/The Middle East?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I'm an instructor, and I'm thinking about relocating to Africa. I've read all the magazines, websites, top-10 lists, etc. But I was hoping to get some first-hand opinions from some well-traveled divers here..

I'm most interested in big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs, etc.) and healthy coral reefs.

So.. with that being said.. Where is the Best Overall Diving in Africa?

Most people'll tell you the Egyptian/Sudanese Red Sea or South Africa. What say you guys?

Thank you very, very, very much in advance for any insights! I really, really do appreciate them!

Sudanese Red Sea has some of the best over all diving I’ve seen, not only in Africa/Middle East. It’s on par with places like PNG and Sipadan in its hayday. Not the same bio diversity off course, but many of the reefs down there are unreal when ”on”. Egypt has a few great spots that can be categorized as ”world class” but they generally lack the numbers of mid sized and bigger fish like snappers, barracudas and jacks (RasMo in July would be the exception) that are fairly common in Sudan. Lots of sharks and especially schooling hammerheads in season.

We went to Sudan in March 2017, can't say I was overwhelmed.... Nowhere near Sipadan (which together with RA is the best places I've dived) More like the reefs we saw in Maldives.
We did see hammerheads (very deep down), grey reef sharks and white tips, but corals were not that great - the Umbria wreck is super though - for me just as good or even better than Thislegorm (and I'm not a wreck fan).
Did "Sinai Classic" in August - lots of healthy, pretty corals and small fish, viz was amazing - in 26 dives no big stuff, and it got boring. - I know we should have done the "South", but had an in-experienced diver with us, so not possible.

Tanzania (Mafia island) in December was Ok - whale shark season was good, but it was only snorkeling, not much big stuff on the dives.

Out of the places I've dived in Africa, I would say Sudan fit best with what you want.

IMO South Africa / Mosambique. Having dived most of the African east coast you have all the diversity in SA, especially if your willing to travel. The East, South and West coast areas all have their own uniqueness.
Look at Sudwana in RSA and Ponta Do'Ora in Mozambique, or even Inhambane also Mozambique, unspoiled beauty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom