Where is the best Non-Liveaboard Diving in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fiji ticks most things on your list. Viti levu has great diving at Beqa and access to vatu i ra passage from the north - so sharks, mantas, dolphins, healthy corals.
didn;t seem overly populated and there are options around the island for settling with just short drive to access dive spots.
plenty of other things to do, like fishing, hiking, rafting.

Raja Ampat you mentioned but prob would not work... healthy corals and sharks and mantas but not many sharks and more macro. Sorong is a hole that is over populated and very difficult to get things... plus its almost "dry".

Palau could be added to the list for diving criteria, but don;t know about land based activities, i expect it would be easier for you to get a visa and part time diving work.

Thank you for the great response Steve. Internet access isn't a big issue for me.

Hawaii would be a really nice option for sure. Best non-liveaboard diving in the world you think? I wonder how it compares to Fiji, Raja Ampat, etc.

Hawaii is a good to very good place to dive. I’m diving Hawaii today.

Fiji and Indonesia are far better BUT it’s got whales, mantas and whale sharks and tons of turtles. Coral is lacking in quantity and variety. Fish getting scarcer too. Still a good compromise.

PNG but you want to walk around safely...not always a guarantee

There is a demand for medicos prepared to work remote in Australia - Exmouth hospital is not that far away from Ningaloo Reef :wink:

I wonder about Australia and New Zealand, I have no experience there, but that might work. I’ve been to Fiji twice, Beqa once—great diving on that beautiful little island, but it’s quite far from the mainland, and although shore diving is a possibility around Fiji, in my limited experience (at Natadola beach) having a small boat is easier on Fiji.

St croix Has great shore diving, there’s some to do top side, and it’s a beautiful island. I feel like it’s safe, others may disagree.

Sri Lanka has a lot of what you have mentioned, However I can’t speak to the shore diving, my only diving was off a boat.

Greece? Croatia? Red Sea?

Hello all.

I'm looking to relocate somewhere.. permanently.

-I'm an American. I have a 9-5 job & specialized advanced degree that should make it relatively easy for me to get a visa (and eventually, permanent residency) most places. *I'd prefer to remain anonymous and to leave that ^ at that for now. I have lived abroad in the past and loved it. I learn new languages quickly. And I am also a dive instructor.

-I'd like to relocate somewhere with great land-based diving (if I can teach on wknds, great). I like big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Whales/Whale Sharks, Dolphins, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs, etc.) and healthy coral reefs. I like cave diving too.. but I'm not overly big on wrecks, macro, tech, etc. I like warm water. I like walking around and not worrying that I'm going to get robbed. I like places that aren't super overpopulated and polluted. And I like places where there's at least a little something to do besides sit on beautiful beaches and scuba dive.

Reaching out to some of the more well-traveled and experienced divers here.. you know, people who have hit a few bucket-list destinations. Anywhere in the world is an option.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for me to investigate?

@GWG Dave have you made a decision about where you want to live yet, or are you still considering the options? Just curious.

Belize offers the Qualified Retirement Persons (QRP) program if you can demonstrate $2000/month in income. Some additional benefits are available through this program and in my opinion, Belize is a lovely place and I enjoyed the diving. Retire in Belize: The Benefits of Belize’s QRP Retirement Program

@GWG Dave have you made a decision about where you want to live yet, or are you still considering the options? Just curious.

Look at his profile- he hasn't even glanced at SB in two weeks. May be off doing Secret Squirrel stuff, if he told us what his work is....he'd have to kill us.

He's likely found another way to make his mystery-based life decision other than with the internet's wise counsel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom