Where is the best Non-Liveaboard Diving in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to relocate somewhere.. permanently.
-I'm an American. I have a 9-5 job & specialized advanced degree that should make it relatively easy for me to get a visa (and eventually, permanent residency) most places. ...
-I'd like to relocate somewhere with great land-based diving (if I can teach on wknds, great). I like big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Whales/Whale Sharks, Dolphins, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs, etc.) and healthy coral reefs. I like cave diving too.. but I'm not overly big on wrecks, macro, tech, etc. I like warm water.
Just a note: Unless it's a medical degree, the best warm-water diving doesn't often mix with demand for advanced skills - not a lot of rocket science going on around Apo Island, Phi Phi Lei, or Songo Songo!

So, you're probably not looking for the best diving period, but for a compromise that combines diving, infrastructure, paying diving jobs unless your special one is all remote, and perhaps a few other things you'll need to list.

How sure are you about moving permanently? One of the best things about the dive instructor lifestyle is the mobility. It's also one of the worst things about it: you'll eventually miss the perks of owning things other than your gear, remodeling your home, or having a family, and settle down. But it's just that much better to have a decade of teaching around the world to remember and tell stories about, rather than just your old urban life.

My favorite spot was northern GBR off Lizard Island. Just truly amazing. Biodiversity is huge. I spent the time I wasn’t diving snorkeling in the giant clam beds. Totally surreal.

Just a note: Unless it's a medical degree, the best warm-water diving doesn't often mix with demand for advanced skills - not a lot of rocket science going on around Apo Island, Phi Phi Lei, or Songo Songo!

So, you're probably not looking for the best diving period, but for a compromise that combines diving, infrastructure, paying diving jobs unless your special one is all remote, and perhaps a few other things you'll need to list.

How sure are you about moving permanently? One of the best things about the dive instructor lifestyle is the mobility. It's also one of the worst things about it: you'll eventually miss the perks of owning things other than your gear, remodeling your home, or having a family, and settle down. But it's just that much better to have a decade of teaching around the world to remember and tell stories about, rather than just your old urban life.

1. You're on to something re: my career.
2. Teaching Diving isn't what I do for a living.
3. I'd prefer to pick one place and settle down there.

Oh man... I can't claim the 'best in the world'...

But, if I was an unattached MD who liked to dive, I'd go somewhere shore diving is easy and cheap. Grand Cayman, Bonaire, or Curacao are top of my list.

My favorite spot was northern GBR off Lizard Island. Just truly amazing. Biodiversity is huge. I spent the time I wasn’t diving snorkeling in the giant clam beds. Totally surreal.

Wow -- I didn't know you could live on Lizard Island!!

Wait.. can you?

Hawaii is good but Fiji is better. IDK Raja to compare.

My impression of both is liveaboards are the way to see the best of it though.

I thought of Grand Cayman also but it's pricey to live there. Short flight back to MIA if you need something not available on island.

Bonaire is only good if you're going to dive and do almost nothing else since there's not much else to do there.

Curacao could be worth considering - due to being the deepwater port and having the regional medical facility it might be a decent place to live.
Many of the beaches there are also shore dive sites with on-site facilities so there's more dive employment options besides the dive operations.

Neither Bonaire or Curacao will have most of the large pelagics you want - there's almost no sharks on Bonaire except for a couple east side dives and we saw one in 10 dayson Curacao. Lots of tarpon, stingrays and a lot of small stuff like seahorses. I might have seen an eagle ray at Salt Pier on Bonaire once.

Belize is probably out. My nephew was going to go there to DM/guide but preference is given by the gov't to native Belizeans for dive work permits.

Oh man... I can't claim the 'best in the world'...But, if I was an unattached MD who liked to dive, I'd go somewhere shore diving is easy and cheap. Grand Cayman, Bonaire, or Curacao are top of my list.

Hawaii is good but Fiji is better. IDK Raja to compare.

My impression of both is liveaboards are the way to see the best of it though.

I thought of Grand Cayman also but it's pricey to live there. Short flight back to MIA if you need something not available on island.

Bonaire is only good if you're going to dive and do almost nothing else since there's not much else to do there.

Curacao could be worth considering - due to being the deepwater port and having the regional medical facility it might be a decent place to live.
Many of the beaches there are also shore dive sites with on-site facilities so there's more dive employment options besides the dive operations.

Belize is probably out. My nephew was going to go there to DM/guide but preference is given by the gov't to native Belizeans for dive work permits.

Regarding Grand Cayman, a few years ago they opened a beautiful, new, Joint Commission accredited hospital called Health City and their website is advertising employment opportunities, see the link below.

Employment Opportunities at Health City Cayman Islands

GC is not the best diving in the world but it has some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO. It is considered a safe destination and it is easily accessible from the US. There are things to do topside besides dive and work, and there are many high quality dive ops on the island. English is the official language. You have to drive on the left but you could probably get used to it.

GC is only a half-hour flight from Little Cayman which has the best Caribbean diving I've experienced, and Cayman Brac is another great nearby dive option and also offers rock climbing and caving opportunities, if that is of interest. Cayman Airways also flies to nearby Havana and Roatan so there are lots of easy access diving destinations in the region.

Not a lot of big creatures in the Caymans but it is definitely not all macro. You will see reef sharks, nurse sharks, and I'm told that Hammerheads are occasionally spotted. There are lots of eagle rays and stingrays, as well as turtles, eels, groupers, octopus, lobsters and crabs, and loads of healthy corals and fish life. Very good and inexpensive shore diving is readily available in the Caymans. The reefs are close to shore in the Caymans so you won't spend all day in a boat getting to dive sites.

Cayman is an expensive destination but no worse than Hawaii and it offers many attractions, including easy accessibility and reasonable airfares. It also has good internet, Wi-Fi, and phone services. You might want to check it out.

Wow -- I didn't know you could live on Lizard Island!!
Wait.. can you?
Well, you wouldn't be the only one, so the answer is you can.

But it's unlikely to be easy. Might just be that "best diving" place without compromise.

There is a resort and obviously those who work with there live on island as do those at the marine research facility. It is a more isolated lifestyle but obviously works for many. Keep in mind that there are places in the world where obtaining work permits have many restrictions and the task may be somewhat onerous The Cayman Islands and OZ are two such places. If you are American there are advantages to going to a US territory or State.

I would say the Phillippines but they currently have a nut job in charge.
I would consider Bali because of the close access to so many places.

Back
Top Bottom