Where is Big Western Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnQPS122

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going through my log book from 1985 and putting all the entries in my computer.

Does anyone know where "Big Western" Quarry is, or was back then?

I'd assume it was not more than an hour or two from Joliet, Illinois, where I lived at the time.

john,the "big western"stone quarry was located about 900 richards st.on the s.e. side of joliet,dating back to 1875 or 1872,then known as the joliet stone co.bought out in1889 by western stone co which had about 9 or 10 quarries generally located in the desplaines river valley-joliet,lockport,lemont,etc.it fell idle in 1913 due to market conditions.it filled up and was never reopened,the flooded part itself was about 1/4 mi. l. x350 yds. w. maybe 100-150ft. deep at the most.the edges pretty much dropped straight down.also some 20-30 ft. cliffs.they started filling it in about 1989 ,now its about filled up . i would be interested in seeing any pictures above or below water that any one might have of this quarry.also would like to know what equipment was submerged. thx. j lee

Wow, thanks for the info J.D.!

Unfortunately, all I have in my log book is that I dove there twice on October 8, 1985. I don't remember any other details.

If I did take any pictures, they'd be in photo albums at my parents' house, which I will pick up the next time I visit them (late August). If I find any photos labeled "Big Western" I'll scan them and get them to you.

You can get a great view of what it looks like today, from space, using maps.google.com

john,the "big western"stone quarry was located about 900 richards st.on the s.e. side of joliet,dating back to 1875 or 1872,then known as the joliet stone co.bought out in1889 by western stone co which had about 9 or 10 quarries generally located in the desplaines river valley-joliet,lockport,lemont,etc.it fell idle in 1913 due to market conditions.it filled up and was never reopened,the flooded part itself was about 1/4 mi. l. x350 yds. w. maybe 100-150ft. deep at the most.the edges pretty much dropped straight down.also some 20-30 ft. cliffs.they started filling it in about 1989 ,now its about filled up . i would be interested in seeing any pictures above or below water that any one might have of this quarry.also would like to know what equipment was submerged. thx. j lee
My name is Jim LaPaso And I was born in a naborhood called soup Borne on the south cliff of the quarry.
I was in it almost every day in the summer and ice skated it in the winter.l dove it several times summer and winter in the summer it would get bead algae and visibility was low
There were several cars in it that were throne there during the crash oh the twenties for insurance and a 53. Heavy coupe near the shore on the east side
Most of the specs given are correct but it was only 50 ft deep at the west end and about 10 at the east end.
There was a hard hat diver with a crane in the 50s and they piled several pieces of machinery and train parts.
It is filledin but the memories are still with all of my friends that played there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom