where in belize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 9 nights to get away...but will be on my own. looking at belize for its diving. having a hard time finding info on dive operators in belize. I don't care for blue hole unless its from the air but would like to dive half caye and any other suggested sites. trying to get a better idea of how far these reefs are from things or if I need to do day trips in by boat to get to them... where is the most central and best place to hang my hat for the stay? ambegris caye? caye Calker? any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer a dive package with a reputable dive operator than a guy with a canoe and a motor on back if you know what I mean. :)

Thanks

In Belize, the sites away from shore are infinitely better but it's a long boat ride.

A liveaboard would get you to the best sites without wasting a whole lotta time getting there.

As above, or stay at one of the resorts on the Turneffe islands.
There are also other options close to the good dive sites that I'm not personally familiar with. I'm sure someone will chime in about them.

In Belize, the sites away from shore are infinitely better but it's a long boat ride.

A liveaboard would get you to the best sites without wasting a whole lotta time getting there.

I dont want to do a livaboard can you give me an idea how much time it would take from say ambegris caye to most of the better dive sites?

I recently used Amigos Del Mar in San Pedro. They were a solid operation with good employees and equipment but you'd have to contact them to see where they go beyond the dive sites 10 minutes out or Blue Hole. If you stay on one of the Cayes like Turneff or Glovers Reef the diving is better and trips are shorter but you trade access to other activities. If you opt to stay on the mainland, you're looking at 45 minute+ boat trips but Hopkins or Placencia give you access to mainland activities like ATM cave and ruins. Belize Underwater or Hamanisai are the main dive shops in Hopkins and Ralph runs Splash out of Placencia. I've dove with Splash and they have big boats and nice facilities.

I dont want to do a livaboard can you give me an idea how much time it would take from say ambegris caye to most of the better dive sites?
I have been to AC twice but only one time as a diver. When I went there to dive boats couldn't get out past the reefs so I did a couple 3 tank trips south with Island Divers. One was along the reef, I think one of the sights was the Spanish something, it was around $180. The next one was to Turneffe, it was $220 for a 3 tank. Both were a long days but we left after sun rise and were back before sunset. When the wind finally calmed down I was able to do some local dives.
I really like the atmosphere of AC. It is a little noisy and crowded in town but once you get out of the middle of town things slow down.

thanks guys that gives me an idea...

next question I have to ask is it safe to travel alone?

I went there solo and wasn't concerned. Just don't flash anything of value. You can go anywhere in shorts and flip flops.

You haven't said whether you want other activities or only diving.

Ambergris will give you bars, restaurants and pretty good diving. Most diving will be to local sites within a 15 min radius. Operators typically so weekly trips to blue hole and further out cayes (but these are long boat rides...thus not daily).

As others have mentioned, far off shore cayes offer the best diving.....can be reached from southern Belize mainland locations, but long boat rides (up to an hour or more).

There are multiple options for staying on the far off shore cayes, but all you are really doing out there is diving and other watersports - very quiet, plenty of hammock time in between dives. These range from the more posh (Turneffe Island Resort) to very rustic/eco-style (Itza, Huracan, Off the Wall)

IMHO - solo is absolutely no problem, just be sensible. Belize City is the main place you need to be careful. Ambergris.....largely safe, but again don't be stupid (walking in isolated areas along at night). Far out cayes - absolutely safe

Well this is kind of the chicken and egg scenario. i dont know enough about the place when i posted to know what to ask or request. however, through resurch i can tell you i am not interested in cave tubing... rapelling... or the blue hole (not the diving i like). i am however liking ambegris for the restaurants and just the fact people are around. i want the better diving but enjoy things to do even if its a stroll through town. Marroned on a desert island in between dives might drive me insane after 9 nights.

Maybe go to an atoll for 3-4 nights... get diving in at half moon ect then take water taxi to ambegris for 4 nights and do local dives there as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom