Where have they been spotted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sibermike7

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am the lone ForceFin supporter/user (can you be one without the other??) here in EstoniaLand. I get comments about my fins ALL the time (usually disparaging :depressed: unfortunately). Consequently, I am always looking to "spot" the Force in use by "well-known" sources. The reason is to demonstrate to the divers here that, yes, ForceFins really are used by other divers besides me!

I recently opened the latest DUI catalog and on the "welcome" page by Susan, there is her photo. It is pretty small, but I thought that I could recognize the whiskers of the extraForce in the photo.

So, I did a search on SB and found a post by Blair congratulating Susan concerning DUI leadership and her response with the fins in the picture which verified my speculation.

Where have you seen the Force in use?

The first time I saw the Force Fin was on a Conch Republic dive charter. One of the divers wore high-top sneakers and Force Fins. I asked my teammate what the hell those strange looking fins were and he told me they cost a fortune and were reportedly incredible. I talked to the diver who said he really liked them.

A second spotting/use was at our local diving spot. A friend had a set and actually let me try them out. I don't know why but I couldn't manage to get any "force" from the fin. Apparently, once you get the hang of finning with them they really go.

So, in a year and a half of travel and diving I can say I've spotted Force Fins only twice.

The first time I saw the Force Fin... I asked my teammate what the &*%$ those strange looking fins were and he told me they cost a fortune and were reportedly incredible. I talked to the diver who said he really liked them.
Almost exactly the same thing happened to me! I saw them (a pair of yellow Pros) in a diveshop in Oceanside, CA. I asked Steve if they were for real. You should have seen his look! :confused:

He said, "Hey! Those are mine! :shakehead:

I don't know why but I couldn't manage to get any "force" from the fin. Apparently, once you get the hang of finning with them they really go.
I have never met a person that thought that they were working when they first tried them. My first experience was with my son. He had Jets and I tried out the ForceFins. We had decided to swim just under the surface (a few waves we didn't want to snorkel through) to a place about 200 meters from the boat, meet back up at the surface and then to start our dive together.

We splashed and started swimming. I was thinking, "Man, this is so embarrassing! I can't get this STUPID FINS to do anything! It's like there is nothing there! So I decided that maybe I was trying too hard and settled down to a rhythmic, steady series of kicks. Still didn't feel like I was doing anything, so I popped my head up to see how far my son was ahead of me (now mind you he was a young Marine in stunning good shape and I was/am a old, fat guy.) I thought that he had gotten so far ahead that I couldn't even see his bubbles when I heard him yell from behind me. "Man, Dad, we ain't racing!!" :D

True story.

Places to see them in use... John Chatterton uses the Extra Force TanDelta, although none of his shows are about the equipment so you don't see them a whole lot. They have been spotted in plenty of movies, and in use by the OFS- Jean-Micheal Cousteau.

As to the getting used to them. Just last night actually. So I was at underwater hockey practice last night and a good friend (and excellent player) was using my Excellerators. He puts them on, and one play later he surfaces and say "they suck". 1/2 hour later he was still playing with them. Later we are talking about them, he tells me, they felt weird, but once he stopped thinking about how weird they felt he could suddenly feel just how well they moved. Of course I was mesmerized by the amazing dynamics of the fins.

Places to see them in use... John Chatterton uses the Extra Force TanDelta, although none of his shows are about the equipment so you don't see them a whole lot. They have been spotted in plenty of movies, and in use by the OFS- Jean-Micheal Cousteau.

As to the getting used to them. Just last night actually. So I was at underwater hockey practice last night and a good friend (and excellent player) was using my Excellerators. He puts them on, and one play later he surfaces and say "they suck". 1/2 hour later he was still playing with them. Later we are talking about them, he tells me, they felt weird, but once he stopped thinking about how weird they felt he could suddenly feel just how well they moved. Of course I was mesmerized by the amazing dynamics of the fins.

Yeah, my kiddos and I were watching (I believe it was A/E) a program about a sub sunk close to UK when they saw John getting ready they yelled, "Look Dad, ForceFins!" :D

shark_attack.jpg

Force Fins are the stuff of Urban Legends. Who needs reality?

A couple years ago, a couple hundred miles from Hawaii, there was a freighter with an injured crewman. The news showed Air Force PJ's deploying from a Navy Helicopter to render aid, some had force fins.

Also Betty Pratts 151 Dives has a crew of Force Fin fans on it...link below
151 Dives in the Protected Waters of Washington State and British Columbia

I took my yellow Pros and my girlfriend took her black Pros to Julian Rocks in NSW Australia...the guide asked me if I charged my batteries before I showed up for the charter. We had a lot of looks and comments but they were all pretty positive.

I use Force fins in all my water sports...Here's a good one I took while getting some shots of my surf buddies.

Attachments

• Yellow Shark.JPG
    Yellow Shark.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 927
I don't even remember where I first saw them.
All I know is I have 7 pair here in Florida, 5 pair in Alaska and 1 pair at my Mother's house in Michigan. Then again I am Tester #1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom