Where do you look for pool diving opportunities? (specifically in VA/NC)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one of the things I looked for when I certified was a LDS with an indoor pool. Rick's in North Little Rock, AR will accomodate anyone who trainned with them in their 14' deep indoor heated pool. I know this dosen't help you much, but maybe someone new will need it.

You may be able to friend someone at a local hotel.

Last edited:
Even though I've hit the "thanks" button, I just wanted to say a live Thank You to everyone who has provided tips so far. Gypsy Divers, especially, has an appealing look; but I will check into the others as well.

I think Raleigh is going to be a good location. It's a bit of a haul from my place (isn't everything), but one of my dive pals lives there, so it's a good winter/pool destination.

B.

PS: Not meaning to discourage any further input, by any means :)

Hi rivers,

I appreciate the input, but as I mentioned, I don't have an LDS. That's not because I don't want one, but because I live waaaay out in the sticks, hours from any dive shop.

B.

Ahh okay. Well if there is a Y or fitness center with a pool that has open swim hours, you can always check with them. The Y is generally pretty cheap for open swim if you're not a member (usually around $5-$10 depending on the area).

Not that this can help the OP but as an example that others may think about.
Here in NY -Westchester to be exact,we have a indoor heated pool on site at the LDS.Our policy is if we taught you to dive and you purchased your gear from us-exposure suit-bcd-regulator-etc- you can have access to the pool at NO CHARGE to pratice whenever there is not a class going on.Show up with gear purchased elsewhere to try out and the deal is off.I find this alone can add value to LDS purchases over online dealers.

Our policy is if we taught you to dive and you purchased your gear from us-exposure suit-bcd-regulator-etc- you can have access to the pool at NO CHARGE to pratice whenever there is not a class going on.Show up with gear purchased elsewhere to try out and the deal is off.I find this alone can add value to LDS purchases over online dealers.

That certainly does sound like a nice benefit and added value. I figured that other divers might be interested in this topic, so that's why I posted it in the general area and not in the Mid-Atlantic forum. So, I'm glad you responded.

If I were local to you, I'd be stopping in to buy some gear and hit the pool :)

B.

The Down Under Pool party is April 10th but a time has not been set. Usually it's done in the late afternoon with a pizza party at one of the local restaurants afterwards. It is a club event but you are welcome to come. If it is held in the Triangle Aquatic center like it has been for the last few years, the pool is huge and fairly deep 7 ft at one end and 14 at the other. Downunder Surf and Scuba

The Gypsy pool is open to divers off and on - closed for parties and the like- so call ahead to make sure they are open for divers. Swim and Scuba Lessons in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Holly Springs, Apex, Morrisville: Gypsy Divers Aquatic Center

Not that this can help the OP but as an example that others may think about.
Here in NY -Westchester to be exact,we have a indoor heated pool on site at the LDS.Our policy is if we taught you to dive and you purchased your gear from us-exposure suit-bcd-regulator-etc- you can have access to the pool at NO CHARGE to pratice whenever there is not a class going on.Show up with gear purchased elsewhere to try out and the deal is off.I find this alone can add value to LDS purchases over online dealers.

And I would pay LDS prices with that benefit! Customer service can easily overcome higher prices in my book. Unfortunately, most LDS's I visited in the area were rude before the sale in acting bothered when I asked questions. After visiting several, I thought I found an LDS where I was comfortable but they blew it post-sale when they could not deliver my $300 Scubapro personal gear order for 1 month with no explanation other than "lost order", despite the fact that I very nicely followed up with them about once per week.

I'm taking some lessons today from yet another LDS and am hoping to find a nice combination! Tomorrow is pool day, they rent pool time from the local Boys and Girls Club and also sponsor charity events for same.

To the OP, first you need to find local indoor pools. Then, you need to contact the owner/administrator and inquire. For instance, in my area a couple of high schools have Open Swim on Sunday nights for $3-$5 and allowed scuba equipment. These pools have max depth of 10-12 feet to support springboard dive competition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom