Where Do You Keep Your Spare Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my car trunk.
ditto. Haven't lost one or had a strap break (in water) yet. I know we're being wise guys, but seriously I have no place that I could store it on me diving that didn't mean squeezing it in somewhere which may do it damage.

Never mind

full.jpg

full.jpg

Many hundreds of dives, always carrying a spare mask, the only time it's ever needed is in a course.

But I'll always carry one as it's both simple and the consequences of loosing a mask in cold water doesn't bare thinking about (instant pain, lots of pain)

Kept in my drysuit pocket alongside a spare SMB with reel.

I keep mine in my dive gear bag in the car or on the boat.

Why do you need a spare mask? I have done almost 4,500 dives and have never needed one. Nor have I ever dived with someone who needed one or met someone who had to use a second mask.

because Michael in todays every scenarioed parallel universe
diving is about keeping your mind free of your fear of diving!

Why do you need a spare mask? I have done almost 4,500 dives and have never needed one. Nor have I ever dived with someone who needed one or met someone who had to use a second mask.

I use to think the same thing for years but I still have always carried a spare mask and then one day I broke one and was very happy I had a spare. I bought two of the Apeks mask when they first came out and after about only 200 dives the strap buckle ripped out from the silicone "lug" that attaches the buckle to the mask frame while I was adjusting my mask mid dive. I'm pretty disappointed in the design of this by Apeks as its the actually mounting lug that ripped so its not repairable the mask is just garbage now and sadly I bought two of them. But enough of my rant about Apeks mask. The point is I was very happy to have a spare mask with me. Really nice when you have 8-12 deco stops and being able to read you computers is absolutely required or you have no idea what your depth and time is. Also yes even with a big screen petrel/perdix I can not see the numbers underwater without a mask on I have tried, I can see my HUD so I know PP02 but that alone is not going to get you out of the water safe unless you know your depth and time also.

Yes you could hold the mask on your face but that sound like a pain in the a$$ when you have significate deco obligation. Or yes you can barrow your buddies spare mask but that is assuming he has one and not the mentality of "why do I need a spare mask" because if this was the case then you would need to rely on your buddy to read your computers for you and tell you where to stop and for how long all the way to surface mask less and if you doing dil switched he would need to change your computers gases and verify dil switched for you. Yes it can be done but its not ideal. Easily preventable with a spare mask.

To the OP, I use pocket shorts and keep it in one of those.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I use to think the same thing for years but I still have always carried a spare mask and then one day I broke one and was very happy I had a spare. I bought two of the Apeks mask when they first came out and after about only 200 dives the strap buckle ripped out from the silicone "lug" that attaches the buckle to the mask frame while I was adjusting my mask mid dive. I'm pretty disappointed in the design of this by Apeks as its the actually mounting lug that ripped so its not repairable the mask is just garbage now and sadly I bought two of them. But enough of my rant about Apeks mask. The point is I was very happy to have a spare mask with me. Really nice when you have 8-12 deco stops and being able to read you computers is absolutely required or you have no idea what your depth and time is. Also yes even with a big screen petrel/perdix I can not see the numbers underwater without a mask on I have tried, I can see my HUD so I know PP02 but that alone is not going to get you out of the water safe unless you know your depth and time also.

Yes you could hold the mask on your face but that sound like a pain in the a$$ when you have significate deco obligation. Or yes you can barrow your buddies spare mask but that is assuming he has one and not the mentality of "why do I need a spare mask" because if this was the case then you would need to rely on your buddy to read your computers for you and tell you where to stop and for how long all the way to surface mask less and if you doing dil switched he would need to change your computers gases and verify dil switched for you. Yes it can be done but its not ideal. Easily preventable with a spare mask.

Very similar reasoning to mine although I wouldn't have the deco obligation. I'm a contact lens wearer and I'm VERY nearsighted. I could safely end a dive without my mask but why take that risk? I'd easily lose a contact lens or both. While I always have spare lenses available I'd rather not try to get back on a boat without my contacts given my very poor eyesight.

If I'm going to take a spare mask with me on the boat than why the heck would I not take it with me in the water? Whether you put it in a pocket or in a mask pocket on your waist strap like I use, it is completely tucked away, out of the way, and causes no clutter whatsoever. Therefore there is definite potential benefit and absolutely no real negative implications. Given that I take my spare mask with me on every dive. I've never had to use it but it just takes the one time.

Those of you responding sarcastically ... we get it!! We really do! If you don't want to bring your spare mask with you on the dive than don't. No skin off theBut when someone asks about where those who dive a BP/W put their backup mask the context of the question is pretty clear. The OP uses a BP/W and has decided to dive with a backup mask and he's seeking advice on placement options. Answering "in my car" or "in my gear bag on the boat" is not the least bit helpful to the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom