Where do the schools get the $40k/yr figure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the OPs original question: Offshore divers work 12 hour shifts for the duration of the job that is being worked on. So, $12/hr becomes $12*8 +$12*4*1.5 for five days. Add $12*12*1.5 for Saturday and $12*12*2 for Sunday. That is $672 for a week.

$672*2=$1344 a pay period. Mutiply by 26 pay periods in a year is $34,944.00 a year as a diving tender.

That does not take into account for depth pay.

DCBC can correct me if I got the calculations wrong.

Wow, that's a tough way to make a living. My son is starting at $25/hr. He needs to consider himself fortunate.

Given the cost of tuition, you need to be darn sure of job prospects coming out.

Back to the OPs original question: Offshore divers work 12 hour shifts for the duration of the job that is being worked on. So, $12/hr becomes $12*8 +$12*4*1.5 for five days. Add $12*12*1.5 for Saturday and $12*12*2 for Sunday. That is $672 for a week.

$672*2=$1344 a pay period. Mutiply by 26 pay periods in a year is $34,944.00 a year as a diving tender.

That does not take into account for depth pay.

DCBC can correct me if I got the calculations wrong.

YEP ,,, && they may add in their costs of benefits like insurance, vacation time, sick-leave, gear , meals, board,, & it may total to $60,000+ . Starting hourly wage is only part of a yearly salary calculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom