Where did summer go? I must have missed it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Almost impossible to believe that this is Labor Day weekend and our summer season here on Catalina is coming to a close. Summer? I'm not sure we ever got it, did we. Much of July was cooler than normal and we were getting pounded by south swell from monsoons off Baja. As recently as this week divers have been recording bottom temperatures of 50 F well within recreational depth limits in the dive park. This is supposed to be among our warmest months! What gives?

Fortunately here in SoCal September and October tend to be very good months, so I'm hoping the water warms up a bit more. Otherwise I'll be heading to the tropics much earlier than expected this year!

You were probably out diving and weren't paying attention.... :)

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get near as much diving in this summer as I had hoped for.

For me, the calendar summer doesn't fit exactly w. So Cal. For me - like you eluded to - summer in So Cal is from July to October. Let's not pay attention to what school systems are doing. Let's pay attention to what Mother Nature is doing. My summer is still going strong. :wink:

(I also secretly kind of like cooler temps because I go on long bike rides over hills that feel like furnaces when its 80+ degrees)

Of course I dive year round so "summer" (based on school year or season) isn't a major issue. I was actually referring to our summer "tourist" season here on the island. September and October can be some of the very best months IMHO... at least until the darned Asian exotic Sargassum starts to proliferate. However, water temps have been more like winter than summer and that makes me wonder.

Its all that global warming. Most who study the tropics are totally puzzled how we got through august with out a single hurricane. Not happened in 13 years and we are supposedly in a active cycle.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom