Where can one get shark free Chondroitin Sulfate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tandoorii

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate are extracted from marine animals: glucosamine from shellfish shells and chondroitin from animal cartilage, including shark. I searched the Scubaboard and found no relative comments from anyone about these products.

My question: Does anyone know where to get these products in the US (I found one in UK) made from non-shark derivatives?

Hi Tandoorii,

A number of chondroitin products are now made from extracts of the cartilaginous tissues of cows, pigs, fish (other than shark) and birds.

For example, here's one made from bovine cartilage:

Now brand Chondroitin Sodium Sulfate Joint Support
http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/detai...dgroupID=554&gclid=CI7Y1KWCn4kCFRMWFQodtVIxWA

And a combination product:

Herbal Remedies brand Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine Sulfate Capsules
http://www.herbalremedies.com/0320.html

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Folks who are allergic to seafood frequently react to these supplements. You've to be careful about what brand to use if you are allergic to shellfish/seafood.

Hi Tandoorii & fisherdvm,

The products linked in my post are both made from essentially 100% bovine cartilage. As such, those with allergies to shellfish/seafood would not be expected to react to them.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi Tandoorii & fisherdvm,

The products linked in my post are both made from essentially 100% bovine cartilage. As such, those with allergies to shellfish/seafood would not be expected to react to them.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely pursue. However, since these are food supplements and are unregulated, how sure can we be about there not also being shark sources in them? I suppose the bovine would be cheaper in the long run, eh?
Also, I did read "that in most cases, the allergies are caused by proteins in shellfish, not chitin, a carbohydrate from which glucosamine is extracted." Again, can we believe the label?

I have no allergies, so I'm going to start the G&CS program to try to relieve some joint pain.

Thank you for the responses. We can never have too much information when it comes to our health.

Cheers,

I did a term paper for Biochem a couple of years ago comparing glucoasamine with and without condroitin. Basicly condroitin has to be biosynthesised (sorry for my spelling tonight, worse than usual) from gluc to be used by the body. Condroitin is only about 2% absorbed from supplements and it triples to quadrouples the cost. Stick with straight gluc, its awsome stuff.

Hi Tandoorii,

Shellfish/seafood allergies are caused by muscle proteins in these foods, such as parvalbumins in fishes and tropomyosin in crustaceans. Being allergic to these does not mean one will be reactive to chitin, a chemical found in the shells of many crustaceans. It is a complex carbohydrate known as a polysaccharide, not a protein.

You are correct that unregulated supplements such as chondroitin and glucosamine come with no real guarantees as to composition, potency or purity. You pretty much need to rely on the integrity of the manufacturer and as such might be best served by purchasing products made/marketed by well-known national or international companies than off-brand ones from less than fully developed countries.

And you make a good point about chondroitin and glucosamine marketed as bovine-based actaully containing shark fin. Bovine cartilage obviously is the less costly of the two.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks everyone for the great information.

In the end, it's always our own individual decisions what to injest in our bodies, isnt it?

Merry, Merry and Happy Happy

It's more fun underwater...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom