Where can I scuba dive in MN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anywhere you have lawful access to the water. The only exceptions are a handful of parks that have ordinances that prohibit scuba diving and possibly a few places where swimming isn't permitted. (Whether these ordinances have the force of law is highly doubtful in most cases, because of state preemption, but that's not what you're here for, so I'll save that for another time)

The main problem is finding a place that's interesting to dive. Common dive sites include:

Lac Lavon
Square Lake
Perch Lake (Wisconsin)
Lake Ore-be-gone
The many mine pits in the Brainerd Lakes area
Lake Superior

Lake Minnetonka is a favorite for ice diving, because there are cool wrecks to see but the viz and boat traffic make for poor quality dives in the summer.

Lake Wazee, in Wisconsin, is also a popular destination.

There are many others.

What part of Minnesota are you in?

There is an area across the lake/road from where my grandpa had a cabin. It's a big biking area now.
Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area
Minnesota State Park - Minnesota DNR

I used to go up there every year growing up (70's-80s) when it was just old abandoned iron mines and not yet a state recreational area (I think it was the state's first Rec Area). The mines are cold but (at least used to be) pretty clear. I haven't been up there now in over 15 years. The cabin my grandpa used to have on blackhoof lake ended up burning down some years ago (it was made from an old train caboose). There's now a house you can rent there. There should be lots of info online for the area. Brainard/ironton/crosby. Happy Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom