Where can I learn more about the evolution of sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
More than just at a superficial level? What was tried, for what reason, did it work, if not why, what happened then, why features/techniques today are what they are, etc. Are there any particularly good articles, posts worth reading that can either help me develop a better understanding of all the relevant background, or are just fun to read? Thanks!

The only major 'error' I see with modern sidemount divers/instructors stems from a lack of education about the evolution of sidemount. Where they buy 'off-the-shelf' systems without understanding how, or why, those features evolved....and what they are intended for.

Something is mentioned in the books Darkness beckons, Diving in darkness and Sidemount profiles but these books do not discuss the history of sidemount really.

When doing your search, please remember that (as far as I understand) small cylinders were fixed to the belt at first (e.g. with maillon rapides) and then a system using carabiners and bungee was developed and then the now common spring clips and bungee, then clips and ring bungee in some harness. Then came UTD with its "enginees wet dream" having an isolation manifold. None of these is always a better solution than the other. Just different. Spring clips can get jammed by mud (mine did) or break, carabiners can marry irreversibly, maillon rapides mean trouble when kitting up. The list goes on. What makes you think there is "progression"?

Regulators were kept in place using a neck bungee and improvised bearings, or by running hoses across the back, and then the Razor reg clips came into beeing. And so on.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me can add some depth to the discussion. A history book would certainly be extremely interesting.

I wrote a brief article the outlined the difference between sidemount evolution in Mexico and Florida cave.... http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/sidemount-diving-schools-history-heritage/

I remember Steve Bogearts had a presentation that included some good history. Not sure where to find that nowadays.

The UK CDG had some resources online also. I'd bet there were little pools of resources scattered around other cave groups and agencies globally.

I remember Steve Bogearts had a presentation that included some good history. Not sure where to find that nowadays.

Well, he is alive, isn't he? There's always email.
Or maybe Martyn will produce yet another book?
But would it sell?

CDG in the UK, Lamar Hires did a presentation on his role over here in the US. There's a video, let me see if I can find it.

ETA:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom