Where Can I Find Scuba Students?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Maybe this should be in the Advanced Scuba Forum because this situation is definitely one for the highly experienced!

Dive storytime.

I just had strabismus surgery to realign my right eye due to nerve damage from DCS in 2018. On Facebook, I posted a pic of me showing what my eyes look like 3 days after surgery. In the photo, I'm wearing a T-shirt from Hollywood Divers. Hollywood is owned by Karim Hamza, a GUE instructor, and it was the LDS (local dive shop) of one of my students who flew me out to L.A. to run an instructor course for him about 15 years ago. We had reserved a set of AL80s for me, but when I arrived the shop only had steel 104s available to rent for the week.

As we left the shop, there were a couple of hot girls on the sidewalk in front of the neighboring business. It happened to be Vivid Entertainment. They make adult movies.

A pretty brunette outside commented, "Those look heavy," as I carried the doubles toward my student's SUV.

"They are," I quipped, not happy that I had to lug steels.

"You look strong," she said.

"I am," I replied.

At one point during our conversation, my instructor candidate asked me where he might get students as an independent instructor. I looked at him like he failed Situational Awareness 101. I gestured toward Vivid.

"Right there, man. Convince those girls they might be able to get acting jobs that don't require sucking on anything but a regulator if they are scuba certified."

My student laughed and said his wife would kill him and added something like, "Trace, I really, really love my wife."

Now, my situational awareness was not absent when realizing that I managed to get the attention of a Vivid girl. And it wasn't like she was not 100% physically my type. She was even wearing a classy white skirt and jacket with her long brown hair pulled back like a lawyer. I should have probably just bantered and flirted with her to see how far I might have gotten. I just didn't ever want to have the following conversation:

Vivid Girl: How was work, honey?

Me: Fun! I had three students in a daisy chain out of gas drill all sharing long hoses.

Vivid Girl: Wow, babe, that sounds a lot like my day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom