Where are the whalesharks in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decide not to bring your camera on a dive and the odds go way up that the WS, Manta or other big fish will swim right up to you and look you in the eye. :)

If you want whalesharks in May go to South Ari Atoll, Maldives. 57 Sightings last May off White Sands resort. I saw 12 in 6 dives. 8 in May 02 and 6 in May 01. Almost gaurenteed. Why don't you just stop off there for the first two weeks of your holiday. PM me if you want more info.

Neil

ssra30:
May to June is a little late for the Similan and it may be closed as you already know.
Beside the Similan/Richeliue, there are some possibility of seeing whale sharks in south andaman sea (Phi Phi, Hin Maung, Hin Daeng) or Koh Tao.
However, I think whaleshark sighting in Thailand is a bit more sporadic nowaday.
For Koh Tao, the best time to see whaleshark is April and August and occasional sighting in between. Last year, there were 3 whalesharks around Koh Tao in April and there were daily sighting for almost 2 weeks straight during the 2nd half of April.

Some friends also saw whale sharks around Phi Phi at about the same time.

I am not sure what is your chance of seeing whale shark in May/June. I think either Koh Tao or south Andaman sea is worth a shot. I would recommend South Andaman as you will get better diving there even if you don't see a whale shark.

You have made my day as I am going to Koh Toa on Saturday week. :chicken:
Hope there are some whale sharks as I have never yet seen a live one.If I am lucky enough I will try to get a photo for the site.

cheers,
Mick H.
:jaws:

Back
Top Bottom