where and what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
Dear friends

A tiny question,
where and what do u do with the scr sorb after you do lets say one dive and u still can use it or u still have time with it and of course as u cant keep it in the canister how do u store it so u can use it next week. And how long would it last like that.

Concerning the original box of the sorb when u open it and u use some of it, do u close it normally or there is something more to do if u want to keep the sorb for the next season?

Thanks

If I am going to dive the next day, I will clean the rebreather, put it back together and close the DSV and then dive it the next day.

If it is going to be more than one but less than 7 days, I use a seal a meal machine to seal the entire canister in it until I am ready to use it. If it is going to be more than 7 days, I just throw the sorb away.

Mike...

wazza:
... scr sorb ... of course as u cant keep it in the canister how do u store it so u can use it next week
Wassim, whatever you do, don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

If SCR are Drägers, the sorb needs to stay in the cannister.
Scrubbers with inserts (Meg, PRISM, APD) you keep the sorb in the insert,
remove insert from cannister, double bag it in plastic bags with date and
usage time noted on the bag.

What sort of Rebreather is it ?
For my Dolphin I used to just seal both end ports with some plastic and a rubber band.

Cheers
Chris

caveseeker7:
Wassim, whatever you do, don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

If SCR are Drägers, the sorb needs to stay in the cannister.
Scrubbers with inserts (Meg, PRISM, APD) you keep the sorb in the insert,
remove insert from cannister, double bag it in plastic bags with date and
usage time noted on the bag.

Dear caveseeker7
Thanks for the answer , but I am positively sure that you should never leave the sorb in the canister, maybe unless u are diving 2 days after each other. But from a week to the other you should not keep it. You should store it some where.

Anyway, I am putting them in a class bottles , do u thin I can still use it from one week end to the other ?

And if I am want to keep them more then a week you think I should not use them again?
What about the box that comes with it, after I open it do I have to close it in a special way , or close it as it is.

do u think i can sue the original box after its empty to use the sorb i am using now from one week to the other ?

thanks

Sydney_Diver:
What sort of Rebreather is it ?
For my Dolphin I used to just seal both end ports with some plastic and a rubber band.

Cheers
Chris

divesobt , the one from drager

Don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!
wazza:
... but I am positively sure that you should never leave the sorb in the canister, maybe unless u are diving 2 days after each other. But from a week to the other you should not keep it. You should store it some where.
One thing up front, I don't dive a Dräger, so I don't know for how long you can store the sorb inside the cannister. Plenty of Dolphin divers here will be able to tell you how they do it. Dräger recommends the following:
Dräger manula:
Never store a filled Dive Sorb© cartridge

But you either store it in the cannister or dispose of it. Don't refill the cannister with used sorb!
Not on a Dräger, not on any other rebreather.
From your Dräger manual, page 43:
Never re-use DiveSorb©. Always prepare a fresh cartridge before every dive. Failure to do so could lead to a failure of the scrubber unit during the dive, leading to high kevels of CO2 which could cause serious personal injury or death.
page 47: Under no circumstances ... let the sodalime dry out
Below a jpg of the rest of Dräger's scrubber notes from the manual.

Anyway, I am putting them in a class bottles , do u thin I can still use it from one week end to the other ?
No, absolutely not. Once you remove used sorb from it's container you need to dispose of it.
The sorb will dry, clump and be very risky to use.

And if I am want to keep them more then a week you think I should not use them again?
I probably would not, with that rebreather anyway. If you know you're not going to use a whole cannister of sorb get the half-fill adapter, that's why Dräger builds it.

What about the box that comes with it, after I open it do I have to close it in a special way , or close it as it is.
Just close it tight after filling the scrubber and it should be fine. The DiveSorb© MSDS gives storage instruction.
Just make sure the lid is closed tightly and don't park it in the sun. :wink:

do u think i can use the original box after its empty to use the sorb i am using now from one week to the other ?
No. Don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

In case you still don't believe me:
- the Inspiration manual says the same thing (page 28) - available on APD's website
- the Ouroboros manual says the same thing (page 124) - available on Rebreathers Worldwide

Bottom line: Don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

CS7 is absolutely right. Another factor is that you won't be able to pack down used sorb adequately so you'll end up with tracking.

I'm aware that cross posting is frowned upon, but as this is a very serious safety issue I hope that an exception will made. The following was posted in reply to Inspiration divers stating that they re-pack their CCRs with used sorb.
Martin Parker:
Oh wow, I don't believe i am reading these responses. They are not just wrong, they are ridiculously unsafe.

Under NO circumstances should you remove the lime, bag it and re-pack it. The partially used scrubber contains used sorb on the inlet side. This leaves you with a reaction front. If you remove the lime, you'll mix up all the used stuff with the unused and you will get premature channeling.

Leave it in the scrubber. If you want to isolate it from the rest of the loop, unscrew the inlet hose from the T and connect it directly to the lid.

The important issue is that you don't let the lime dry out too much. Obviously, if it is absolutley soaked because you've flooded it then you've got more of a problem - under these circumstances i'd probably chuck it.

Storing it in the sealed scrubber is no different to storing it in the canister it is sold in. The important issue is to make sure you put a fill date and hours used label on the scrubber, so when you come back to it you know what that lime has done.

Bottom line - if you remove the lime - throw it away.

Managing Director
Ambient Pressure Diving

and

Ian Middlebrook:
From test we have done on re-dried lime (still within the canister) the drop in humidity is critical with the C02 absorbent performance in the scrubber on the subsequent dive. The lag in time before breath humidity re-starts the absorbent is surprisingly long. On fresh lime we see a blip in C02 before humidity starts the lime off. On re-dried lime the lag time has been as much as 10 minutes before restarting C02 absortion.
There is a line here in the lime, just dont cross it lol.
Iain Middlebrook
HSM Engineering Technology Ltd

Dear caveseeker

So you r are trying to tell me not to remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it?
Ahaha I am joking I got that.

I open the main box of the 18 kilos of sofno and I put some in the canister until its full,
Question 1:
now if there is any way to close it back to keep the sofno safe for the next week or next year to dive it? Or I just close it and keep it in a nice dry place.

Question 2:
I make a 40 minute dive and I keep the sofno in the canister and after 4 hours I want to do an other dive, in between the dive I take out the canister keep it close and close the 2 tiny opening until the next dive ?

Question 3:
If I still have time for one more dive the next day, can I use the same canister even if I did not open it.
Or I should use all the canister in one day and in 2 dive and the second day use new sofo.
How long would the sofno last in the canister to be used again for an other dive?

Thanks again
Have a nice day

caveseeker7:

One thing up front, I don't dive a Dräger, so I don't know for how long you can store the sorb inside the cannister. Plenty of Dolphin divers here will be able to tell you how they do it. Dräger recommends the following:

But you either store it in the cannister or dispose of it. Don't refill the cannister with used sorb!
Not on a Dräger, not on any other rebreather.
From your Dräger manual, page 43:
Never re-use DiveSorb©. Always prepare a fresh cartridge before every dive. Failure to do so could lead to a failure of the scrubber unit during the dive, leading to high kevels of CO2 which could cause serious personal injury or death.
page 47: Under no circumstances ... let the sodalime dry out
Below a jpg of the rest of Dräger's scrubber notes from the manual.

No, absolutely not. Once you remove used sorb from it's container you need to dispose of it.
The sorb will dry, clump and be very risky to use.

I probably would not, with that rebreather anyway. If you know you're not going to use a whole cannister of sorb get the half-fill adapter, that's why Dräger builds it.

Just close it tight after filling the scrubber and it should be fine. The DiveSorb© MSDS gives storage instruction.
Just make sure the lid is closed tightly and don't park it in the sun. :wink:

No. Don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

In case you still don't believe me:
- the Inspiration manual says the same thing (page 28) - available on APD's website
- the Ouroboros manual says the same thing (page 124) - available on Rebreathers Worldwide

Bottom line: Don't remove used sorb from the cannister and then reuse it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom