Where and how to dive during one weekend in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikkelBC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be traveling to Vancouver on business and expect to have time off during the weekend August 27-28.

- About myself: I am from Denmark and an experienced dry suit diver. I usually dive backplate and wing with a long hose setup when I can decide myself. I am also a PADI instructor.

- Although I am experienced in other locations, I have zero experience diving in Canada, so I would like guided dives or at least to dive with an experienced local who is ready to help a visitor.

- What would you recommend for dive destinations that are feasible to reach from Vancouver in the given time? What can i expect to see at those sites? Obviously I am interested in the stuff that I can't see here in Denmark like kelp, sea lions, dramatic landscapes, etc. Whales? But I don't know if any of that is even possible near Vancouver. In general, marine life is more interesting to me than wrecks.

- Are there any dive businesses that you can recommend? As mentioned, I am completely new to the area, both above and below the surface and I won't have a lot of time to explore, so I need all the help I can get to find my way around.

I look forward to hearing your advice. If any dive businesses are reading this, feel free to try and push your offers to me in this thread :)

Thanks!
Mikkel

You could dive Whitecliff Park or Porteau Cove. If you're looking for a guide suggest you contact one of the dive shops in the area.

Do we have to worry about killer whales (Orca) & Great White Sharks, since we look like California Sealions?

Do we have to worry about killer whales (Orca) & Great White Sharks, since we look like California Sealions?

You'd be so lucky to spot something like that... LOL

But no... you won't see anything like that unless you were on a boat nearer to Vancouver Island or up in the Port Hardy area. :)

Thank you all for your replies. I will look into the ideas that you have given me. I am afraid that North Vancouver Island will be out of reach for me this time around.

My schedule is now a little bit clearer. I will be flying out of Vancouver on Monday August 29 at 14:00, so I was thinking about whether it would make sense to take the ferry over to Nanaimo on Vancouver island Saturday morning and spend 2 nights there? Is that a better base for diving than the mainland? Or would I be better of taking the ferry to Victoria?

I am grateful for any input you can give me.

My schedule is now a little bit clearer. I will be flying out of Vancouver on Monday August 29 at 14:00, so I was thinking about whether it would make sense to take the ferry over to Nanaimo on Vancouver island Saturday morning and spend 2 nights there? Is that a better base for diving than the mainland? Or would I be better of taking the ferry to Victoria?

I am grateful for any input you can give me.

You should take the ferry to Nanaimo and shore dive at Madrona and/or Tyee - if you can arrange for a shop DM to take you out that would be ideal. Both excellent shore dives (spend two or three tanks at each site each day) and worth the cost of a guided DM and cheaper than boat diving.

Thank you all for your recommendation. Back from the trip, I think I owe you a trip report.

I ended up taking BC ferries early Saturday morning from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo in time to meet up with Nanaimo Dive Outfitters at their boat, The Shepherd, at 8:30.

I rented a drysuit and BC from them and had brought the rest of my gear with me. I was very happy that they were able to rent me a nice DUI trilaminate drysuit and a Halcyon BP/W BC very similar to what I dive with at home.

Unfortunately we could not go to the farther wrecks due to wind and wave conditions, but we had 2 very nice dives at the Rivtow wreck. Saw 2 quite big octopuses in their lairs under the wreck. Too difficult to get a decent photo of them, though. I was also very happy with my guide.

Sunday it was shore dives at Tyee. Very different from the wreck, so that was good for variation. A great big wolf eel came out to pose for me.

Overall a very satisfying dive weekend.

Here is a small photo collection you can have a look at: Nanaimo Diving

Awesome!! Glad you had fun and a good experience (the trip on the ferry was well worth it IMO), I loooooove Tyee for a shore dive and any boat dive you did on the Island would have been better than a boat dive here in the Mainland. Also glad you were able to rent a good drysuit and backplate (both the same as what I wear here too) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom