where am I supposed to look?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Your thread Reported content: Post in thread 'Never been to Europe, considering Italy.' was moved to a different forum.

When I get these kinds of notices, where am I supposed to look?

Did you get an Alert for this notification? If so, it should have a link to the thread. Please look at your alerts to make sure the link is there — if not we have to work on that automatically generated notice.

Meanwhile, is this the thread you are looking for?

I found it using the the Search function in the upper right corner, which is significantly improved over last month's ScubaBoard.

Akimbo is almost right. When you report a thread, it pops up into a backroom forum, accessible by only staff, called "Unclaimed Cases". All staff get to see it, read it and one of us will then "claim it", which means they've committed to seeing it through. When this happens it gets moved to "In Process Cases", and if they don't deselect "Inform OP of the move", you'll get an alert but won't be able to view it in its new setting. When the Reported Thread has been resolved, it gets put into the "Closed Cases" forum, so you might get two notifications for each report. I almost always deselect the inform button, but I'm not very consistent with it either. :D

As @Miyaru pointed out when he brought this thread to our attention, there may be a software bug involved:

That why it would be helpful if @wetb4igetinthewater could look at his Alert and give us a little more information.

If we feel we need more info or are confused about why he reported a particular thread, he's only a DM away. But him getting the message that his thread was moved is the default so it's not a "bug". When I click on "Move thread" in my mod options, this is what I see...

1633703981020.png

Notice the bottom option to Notify him is selected by default because the OP will have access to most of the threads we move and it's only nice to let them know where to go looking for it. Again, while I'm not super consistent with deselecting it, I usually do. A mod could also enter in a nice Reason along the lines of "Your report is being evaluated and moved to an internal subforum". This would be appropriate since it should be moved by the Mod claiming the report and would let the reporter know that we're actually looking at it. Communication is one of our collective weak points and this would help that a bit. Many complaints don't require the whole staff to chime in on, like a spam report. In that case, the Reason should be "Thanks for pointing out this spammer. They've been given the spam hammer and you shouldn't be bothered again. We're moving your Report to Closed Cases."

FWIW, we're having this staff discussion in the open because it's merely about our inner workings. The more you, the user knows, the less we have to explain. Obviously, while we try to be as transparent as possible, we would never discuss a reported post in the open due to privacy concerns. Feel free to let us know if you like this kind of dialog and also if you have any input.

Feel free to let us know if you like this kind of dialog and also if you have any input.
Yes, I like getting this kind of information. Thanks.
If I get a notice (after a report) that a post has been moved, it is frustrating to not know to where it has been moved. At least, the notice might say "the post has been deleted" to give a bit more info than just "moved."

As @Miyaru pointed out when he brought this thread to our attention, there may be a software bug involved:

That why it would be helpful if @wetb4igetinthewater could look at his Alert and give us a little more information.
I see this:
1633714104875.png

and when I click on the link, I get this:
1633714147913.png

So I get now that it is in a sort of purgatory. I'm pretty sure whatever I said wasn't all that naughty considering the topic (as I likely posted about one ancient Roman wreck that can be dived once per week).

Unlike my normally moderated comments. :poke:

OK, I see what happened. The moderator forgot to uncheck "Notify thread starter" when moving the report to closed cases. That option is great when moving a public thread to another public forum. At least we know it's not a bug.
That's worse than saying Jehovah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom