When to use the flash diffuser....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Canon WP DC90 housing that I just got and am trying to figure out when to use thed flash diffuser. Since the internalo flash doens't have much range do I really need the flash diffuser. I don't have a strobe.

macro shots?

to prevent hot spots. That is what I do.

Probably a combination of macro and regular shots. It doesn't appear to be the easiest thing to get on and off. I guess it will just take a couple of dives to experiment with it.

I always use the diffuser with the Canon A series housings.

I also find with several of the A series models that you need to turn the flash down one click instead of having it on full power or you will burn out things that are very close. You may need to experiment a bit with that. It isn't that hard to change underwater, so what I suggest people do is set it to one notch below full for most of their needs...if they are in a situation where maybe a little more oomph is needed then change to full power. More than 90% of their shots use the lower setting. YMMV

As a rule I strap a difusser on the strobe when I am shooting an object at 12" or less to avoid hot spots in the pic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom