When to use go pro red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just was in Cozumel and did some filming with my new gopro and polar pro red filter. When at depth 80ft plus the video looks so dark. With good visability like Cozumel diving how deep can you take a gopro and still get good videos? Or was that the more the filters fault? How deep before you should remove filter?

We dove Cozumel last month at 60-70 with the SRP CYD filter and it came out fairly good. It was overcast for us as well. We had decent visibility but it was a little dark. What mode were you shooting in? If it was 1080/60 then it would look darker than the 30fps modes.

Typically the sum of depth+subject distance has to be less than 80 feet at 30 fps to have decent results on a bright day

80 feet depth is outside the working range of any filter, on an extremely good day you may get a bit of color but there is really no yellow or orange left in the light in normal conditions. At 60fps those depths reduce further

80 feet deep ? Time to get some lights. I hear Light and Motion is coming out with a new more powerful light. The Sola Gajillion. No need for filters, just use a pair of Sola Gajillion lights and it will solve all your problems.

I was diving with 180-30fps. So is that better than doing 60fps? I figured since scuba diving is not that fast I figured 60fps was not needed for the extra battery draw.

Typically the sum of depth+subject distance has to be less than 80 feet at 30 fps to have decent results on a bright day

80 feet depth is outside the working range of any filter, on an extremely good day you may get a bit of color but there is really no yellow or orange left in the light in normal conditions. At 60fps those depths reduce further

This was shot at a depth of around 120 feet, with a mako red filter at 60 fps..... I am somewhat color blind, but I think I am seeing yellow fins and other colors? (no lights were used)??????

[video=youtube_share;JIN1uz94HNQ]http://youtu.be/JIN1uz94HNQ[/video]

Yellow or actually green? Not really that yellow
As I said filter manufactures don't commit to more
The 80 feet rule is from the URPRO website
Occasionally you do get some more tint but far from looking natural it is what it is

My two cents, after using the gopro in Komodo for a week:

I think the issue is not so much filter vs. lights but rather how you take the vid:
- If you are far away from your subject, you will never get good colours (lights or no lights),you really need to be very very very close to whatever you wish to film. You will then see the colours re-appearing (if you use the filter; otherwise everyting tends to be bluish...)
- filming a tad upwards helps if the sun is more or less behind you
- remember lights are only effective for a few feet, however strong they might be

Hope this helps!

Rene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom