When to return to diving after L5/S1 disk replacement and ALIF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zugbug99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi, just hoped to get some opinions from some of the very experienced medical providers here. I think this is the best brain depot on the web for diving medicine.

I had Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) with L5/S1 disk replacement with titanium cage and cadaveric bone graft. (sorry I can't remember manufacturer, model) a week ago.
I am doing great - off opioids and only acetominophin for pain. Will expect to be back to work in 2 weeks (professional office type job). Using a FW walker as I still have some Left s1 gait instability issues I hope will improve.

My wife and I are on a cruise Feb 6th, 2015 with NCL and will stop at Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan. I have enjoyed diving at Cozumel/Cancun many times over the years but am looking forward to Roatan most of all.

I will be 13 weeks out of surgery and will likely have repeat lumbosacral xrays and Ortho spine follow up just prior to evaluate the progression of the fusion. I hope to be cleared then to return to all activities. But my ortho spine MD is not a diver, and has not really been able to get a consensus from his partners who are divers.

I cannot find a lot of information about diving and the immediate vs long term effects on spinal fusion.

I have been a DAN member in the past but last diving was at Lahina Maui April 2015. I stopped diving after that so It will be almost a year prior to getting my fins wet. I will likely rejoin, they are always a great source of information and cutting edge research.

Of course snorkeling would be the least desirable option (but I am sure it would still be amazing).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And Happy Veterans Day to all my bothers and sisters in arms tomorrow!

Thank you!

Hi,
I had l5/s1 decompression not a disk replacement so it is different but I was diving 5 days after operation. Before operation I was not able to walk for 5 month. I think it is not the diving but the gear weight concern. Dunk it to water and put it on in there, avoid weight on your back.
All the best to back sufferers
B4e

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom