When the journey is as important as the dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I request some thoughts from the diving community 🙏 I'm trying to decide on my next LOB destination and I'm suspecting that as unique as the dives are in various parts of Asia, they are still essentially similar. Let me explain my context:

I'm well into my middle age now. I've loved scuba since I got certified in my mid 20's, and have only dived casually averaging about 2 dives per year (usually Hawaii). Got AOW along the way and finally did my first live aboard 2 years ago. It was a long time coming and that trip gave me personal happiness I have not experienced in a very very long time. That trip brought me to Richelieu Rock but also gave me a few days on land in a place that I'd always dreamed of visiting; enjoying tours, food, local culture, strength of $, etc. I rarely get to do trips like this due to my home situation so I want to get the best joy for the rare opportunity.

So...
  • if the Maldives, or Philippines, or Indonesia, or wherever is THAT much better because it's different, I'll go there.
  • But if these locations are like (throwing out numbers) only a 10-20% difference; then the accompanying visit will make me return to Thailand for to do things I didn't get to the first time. I'll just do a different LOB itinerary. I've even been trying to learn basic functional Thai.
What I love about diving is just being amongst the amazing sea life. While I take a GoPro with me, photo/video is not a priority for me and capturing every variety isn't that important to me. The mental release from just being on a LOB seems less about the destination. Being amongst a whale shark would be amazing.

Are the other locations that different?

(I make my own decisions, but also do sanity/bias checks by discussing with others, hence this thread)

edit: ok Maldives looks pretty incredible/unique.

My own experiences only. I am NOT a photographer but enjoy backpacking around the world. Yes, travelling is far more interesting than what I could see under water and it is a lot cheaper and rewarding.
In SE Asia, there is NO place that can beat Thailand in terms of culture, cuisines, EASE of travelling etc. Unfortunately the country is NOT blessed with great dive sites except Similan LoB.
Nov - Mar is also the time to travel around this part of the world ie. after the rainy season.
Boat journey from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang in Laos.

There is better LoB in other countries. But I would chose Thailand mainly because you can travel overland to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Malaysia is another option down south.
If you are going to Laos overland than you will need crispy new Greenback to pay for the visa!

Whaleshark?
Southern Leyte in Philippines especially Jan - Mar. Only snorkeling is permitted. Oslob is a lot easier to get to but some peoples are totally against the "presentation of the show"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom