When does sand come into the shore diving sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're in Bonaire now and I've noticed that much of the sand that has previously been in the entrances to the shore diving sites has gone out to sea, making entries and exits more challenging than usual. Does anyone know whether there is a time of year or a month when sand is most likely to fill the holes and shorten the step-downs into Bonaire's west coast shore diving sites?

Not gonna happen. The really big storm waves make the sand go away, but nothing really makes it come back. Sorry.

Your screen name is apt if you want more sand.

If you wait long enough, the ironshore will eventually turn to sand…

Parrot fish are on strike.
We usually go in October but made it in late August this year.
We did notice on the giant stride off Capt Dons pier that we would touch bottom and that Bachelors Beach actually had a beach this year. Time of the year?
bachelor beach.JPG
acually

Yes, Bonaire used to have a lot more sand... at least that is how I used to remember. Am I the only one remembering that or am I dreaming? :confused:

Thanks

Yes, Bonaire used to have a lot more sand... at least that is how I used to remember. Am I the only one remembering that or am I dreaming?
I don't think you're dreaming, but I think your "used to have" conclusion might be inexact.
I've watched waves depositing sand at Bonaire shore diving entries over a period of just minutes. I've also noticed less sand at a shore diving exit between the beginning and the end of a dive.
On the Atlantic coast of Florida, near where I live, winter waves and storms tend to take sand away, while summer waves tend to deposit sand.
That's why I asked whether in Bonaire, sand tends to accrete at certain times of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom