When does a dive centre get investigated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster No.1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all,

Is there a limit to how many accidents a dive centre can have before SSI/PADI etc take away their licence or investigate the possibility? There's a place i'm aware of that are more than a little lax when it comes to safety...

Is litigation or criminal investigation involved? If not, I doubt it. I'm watching to see if one of those agencies does anything about one of their CDs/ITs certifying students without completing all the requirements, violating various standards, especially when it comes to safety. I suspect nothing will come of it as there hasn't been litigation due to any deaths or criminal charges. So why mess with a revenue stream? I've seen how agencies disregard the code of conduct.

The desperation of agencies for revenue is disturbing.

Is there a limit to how many accidents a dive centre can have before SSI/PADI etc take away their licence...

How would you even know if a dive center had its "license" from an agency (SSI, PADI, etc) revoked? If a dive op is willing to cut corners with safety for their paying customers, what would stop them from continuing to claim they are associated with their agency, even if the agency has expelled them?

The world is a big place and agencies like SSI, PADI, etc do not have unlimited resources to police dive ops everywhere. The best you can do is report what you know to the relevant agency and leave it to them to act on it. Hopefully the reputation of the agency is more valuable than the annual dues they receive from a dive op that ignores standards.

It's also worth noting that if you make a report to an agency, they will not tell you when they investigate and they will not tell you the results of their investigation. This can sometimes leave "reporters" with the impression that their complaint has been ignored, but the agency keeps their investigations private.

How would you even know if a dive center had its "license" from an agency (SSI, PADI, etc) revoked? If a dive op is willing to cut corners with safety for their paying customers, what would stop them from continuing to claim they are associated with their agency, even if the agency has expelled them?

PADI has a "Special Advisories" section on their website with "banned" or other "problem" ops/people.
Special Advisories | PADI

No agency investigates for accidents that are -NOT- training related. It's not their bailiwick. The Coasties or local LEOs are in charge of that. However, it takes only one student getting hurt or dying in order to get them to investigate, as that's their purvue. Of course, the Coasties and local LEOs will be doing the same.

PADI has a "Special Advisories" section on their website with "banned" or other "problem" ops/people.
Special Advisories | PADI
That's interesting. They give a list of people & operations who are not affiliates. I would have expected them to have a list of entities who are in good standings & just let you assume that anyone not on the list is not there for a reason.

The way that they are doing this seems a bit backwards. If there is someone that is out there misrepresenting themselves & Padi hasn't found out about them yet, then they can get away with it for as long as it takes to get them on the list. Listing the people in good standing would seem to be a more fail-safe approach.

Strange

I notified SSI about repeated safety issues with a SSI dive centre in Mirbat, Oman. Waste of my time. No response.

No agency investigates for accidents that are -NOT- training related. It's not their bailiwick. The Coasties or local LEOs are in charge of that. However, it takes only one student getting hurt or dying in order to get them to investigate, as that's their purvue. Of course, the Coasties and local LEOs will be doing the same.
There is one, BSAC. Reported none training incidents are investigated to establish whether lessons can be learned for future training. Not to assign blame.

Back
Top Bottom