When did you start with a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menemsha43

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious when you rebreather divers started on this path? Did you have 100 dives under your belt, 1,000 dives? Is it difficult to pursue? I am interested in taking a course after having just returned from Cocos Island. I had an amazing experience there but a rebreather at Cocos must be insane. Thanks.

menemsha43:
I'm curious when you rebreather divers started on this path? Did you have 100 dives under your belt, 1,000 dives? Is it difficult to pursue? I am interested in taking a course after having just returned from Cocos Island. I had an amazing experience there but a rebreather at Cocos must be insane. Thanks.

I had been diving technical for several years with 500+ dives before I took up rebreather but I have heard of a resort that taught OW divers using a dolphin RB. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I am assuming (since you profile reveals little) that you are fairly new. If you have yet to make an investment in dive gear and know you would like to dive rebreather there is no reason not to.
If you were up in my neck of the woods I would let you do a "discover rebreather" session which would consist of a pool dive a lecture and a supervised open water dive on a rebreather. I have several rental units. I am sure other places offer the same type of thing. Some love it some say "no thanks" but you won't know till you try.

FWIW, I did my open water dives (7), plus about five more dives (drysuit and nitrox certs and one recreational dive) for a grand total of 12 before going to the Drager Dolphin. As long as you're someone who is capable of thinking for him/herself, I don't think there's any big deal. On the other hand, I'm a believer that there are a lot of people who should _not_ dive a rebreather...

I had about 100 dives total, all cold water/drysuit, and twelve months of diving under my belt, when I transitioned to a CCR. It was easy on the theory, but like starting over on the skills. The Dolphin helped immensely, though.

I've got a grand total of 14 open circuit dives in my log - at a few times in the interim, I did a single O/C dive and I hated every minute of it...the up-and-down of the breathing made it hard to take photos, the bubble noise was loud and obnoxious, and none of the marine life would come anywhere near as close to me as when I dove the rebreather. 45 - 60 mintues per dive in the water just wasn't long enough, either.

For me, there's no going back...

-C

I've been diving semi-closed rebreathers for several years as a photographer, mainly for the quiet bubble-less experience that allows me to get close to marine life. I only dive open circuit when I can't use my rebreather for some reason.

I'm also an instructor for both the Drager Dolphin and the OMB Azimuth units. If you are ever headed to Florida, let me know. I'd gladly do a "Rebreather Experience" for you so you can see if you like it and want to get certified in them. The "experience" is one day with limited academics and some dive time on the unit. The "certification" requires a few days and 4 hours of dive time.

I've been told that about 1/3 of students give up rebreathers, about 1/3 stay with semi-closed units for the reasons above, and about 1/3 (often deep wreck or cave divers) move on to closed circuit rebreathers for their advantages of very efficient gas use (and cost) and markedly reduced nitrogen loading.

Thanks for the replies. I'm been diving for about 10 years but only have about 120 dives (have nitrox cert) because I didn't dive for about 4 of those years. I've had all my own gear for about 10 years. I'd love to pursue a rebreather certification and thanks for the offers. I think the intro course is a good option. Frankly I just wonder how I'll ever find the time to do it.

menemsha43:

as a rebreather instructor I find it much easier to train someone who is confortable in the water but has limited experience (at least 50 dives), rather than a well seasoned technical diver..

I occasionally do RB experiences not very often due to the fact that my time is limited.. my CCR clases typically run 2 days of academics, 4 hours of poolwork and minimum of 6 dives 60 minutes each for those that are really good.. others may require a few additional dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom