When can you start diving wet at Dutch Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhillyKev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm newly certified with only 6 dives. I want to take advantage of Dutch Springs for practicing buoyancy and navigation but am not ready to embark on dry suit training yet. How soon in the year could I get away with diving there in a 7mm full with hood, gloves and boots? And is there anytime of year I could dive there with less? I currently only have a 3mm full and was thinking of getting a 5 or 7 shortie for layering over that instead of the 7mm full. Is that realistic for diving there? I run warm (did 2 45min dives a day over 3 days in low to mid 70s wearing a bathing suit and rash guard tshirt with no problems).

Along with that, any other diving near Philly that is good for newbies that might be warmer?

The earliest I have used Dutch Springs is early May. I used a merino lined 5 mil suit, beanie and gloves. I am pretty cold tolerent. I hope to try Dutch on opening day even for a short dive. I am hoping the mild winter kept temps above normal. I am in Bonaire now sea temp is 77F. :D

Last edited:
Call the office. I believe they are ahead of schedule with the water temp due to the unseasonably winter. It will still be cold though. Just not as cold. A few more weeks of weather like today would be great.

Also, seriously consider getting trilam drysuit sooner rather than later. Being cold is no fun and there is a ton of fun diving off the East coast. I never dove a wetsuit. I dive dry everywhere from tropic to off Jersey and love it. Give Wayne a call at The Scuba Connection. Their advise and training is second to none. 908-359-1250

Last edited:
I know folks who were in the water on New Years Eve wet. You can easily get away with one dive wet at just about any point, but I doubt you'll be very good for a second dive unless you can get your internal temp back up.

This is directly from Dutch Spring's web page:

WaterTempGraph.jpg

Dutch Springs - Weather and Water Temperature

Last edited:
Assuming I wouldn't be getting up there until late May at the earliest, do you think a 7mm hooded shortie under my 3mm full suit would be sufficient, or should I spring for the 7mm full suit?

I have a 3mm full from pinnacle now and this looks like it would be a good combo item: Pinnacle Escape 7mm Hooded Step-In Vest Mens

That might work in August, but unless you are REALLY cold tolerant, it won't be enough. I would recommend a good fitting 7mm full suit. LP has pretty good package deals with gloves, hood, etc. But FIT is the most important thing. 7mm doesn't stretch like 3mm, so you do need to try on the suits.

You might have 10mm of warmth...but the rest of you is 3mm. Once you get deeper at Dutch it gets very cold and your wetsuit will compress making you all that much colder + the offset of torso-forward buoyancy isn't worth it. You'll probably have a heads-up attitude especially if you are using a poodle vest/BC. As used to train rebreather divers (and we'd stay in for hours)- a trilam drysuit (moderate cost) is an investment well worth the cost in time, warmth and safety. If you're going to do the occasional jump in & jump out a 7mm is more than sufficient for most seasons and a 5 mm is tolerable during the summer months until you go deeper. There is always a thermocline at ole' Dutch Springs....along with some mutant fish. :D

After a point though - Dutch Springs gets awful boring unless you use it for training, working on toys etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom