When and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just got the information of an scubaboard member (Makhno) that NC should be great for wreck diving.

Where is the best place to go and what time of year?
Are there (m)any wrecks with a max depth of 30 m (100ft)?

I am AOW and have around 45 dives. I am interested in Padi Wreck course as well.

All input is of use.

Top 10 in the World in several areas. Wreck diving, Shark and/or big animal dives, Meg Tooth diving, ect. April/May through Nov is prime time for NC diving.

Morehead City, Hatteras and Wilmington are the cities that offer the best diving depending on what you want.

Have fun and enjoy the NC hospitality.

Morehead City / Beaufort area have many wrecks in the 80-100' range, and several more with sand depths of 100-120', but enough relief that you can dive it shallower. The Spar for instance ranges from about 70' at the top of the superstructure, to around 100' at the sand.

As Randy G said there are three main areas.

One question is how flexible your plans are. Also how gung ho you are to go out in safe but heavier weather.

Generally the Morehead boats are more conservative on their cancelations policies and more aggressive on trying to get out. Aquatic Safaris out of Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington) is more flexible on cancelations and less aggressive on trying to get out.

If you want to see the sand tigers, they tend to show up a bit later than April in some areas. More like June.

Boat rides tend to be 1.5-3 hours depending on sites. There are some closer in sites in a bit less water.

All of the major ops can offer the wreck course.

If you are going to be around for several days we also have a number of reefs except we call them ledges. You have sand bottom for miles and then there will be a ledge covered with coral and life. The good ledges start at around 30 meters. 23 miles ledge for example is about 25 meters at the top and 30 meters at the bottom. It is 23 miles out.

Water temps vary greatly. In April the temps will be 60 F or so depending on where you go. (Warmer further out). By late July and August temps can be in the high 70s from top to bottom.

Pictures below were taken on NC Wrecks out of Wilmington

Attachments

• coral3p1000.jpg
    coral3p1000.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 49
  • coral2p1000.jpg
    coral2p1000.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 43
  • sharkhyde2.jpg
    sharkhyde2.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 51
  • Sandbarp1000.jpg
    Sandbarp1000.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 50
Morehead City / Beaufort area have many wrecks in the 80-100' range, and several more with sand depths of 100-120', but enough relief that you can dive it shallower. The Spar for instance ranges from about 70' at the top of the superstructure, to around 100' at the sand.

Jamie, have you been on the Spar since she rolled? It is a deeper dive, the starboard rail is the highest point at about 85'. The port rail is in the sand and the hole that developed on that side can be as deep as 115'.

Only once, and viz was not great that day. I thought the bridge was still higher than the rail, but I could be mistaken. Also I meant to say 110' at the sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only once, and viz was not great that day. I thought the bridge was still higher than the rail, but I could be mistaken. Also I meant to say 110' at the sand.

Jamie, it may be higher but at a 45 degree angle the top is out away from the wreck. The rail definitely feels like the highest point of the wreck. I remember when it first rolled. It took us a while to find it. She moved nearly 200' on the ocean floor. When it was upright, the color scope looked like an upside down U and now it looks like an A. I think it is a more interesting wreck now, it sort of gives you vertigo but when it was upright the deck sure made a great training platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom